Shadow Interference: What is it?

• Thread starter algaidaman
  • Start date
In summary: Do you know what the threshold is?The threshold is a level of brightness at which a gradation becomes visible. Below the threshold, lighter and darker areas appear as two completely separate colors, while above the threshold the areas merge into one color.
algaidaman
My question is dealing with shadows.

I noticed this the other day while standing outside. The shadow that the building cast was on the ground in front of me and was very close to my shadow. I swayed slightly and noticed that both shadows were attracted to one another to the point where they moved, independently of my own movement, and touched. The shadows sppeared "warped"; the straight linear shadow of the building was now slightly bent.

Just being curious I thought this would be the best place to ask. What is this called?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would probably be diffraction. Light gets bent slightly when going around obstructions or through orifices (such as between you and the building).

Also be aware that your shadow and more so the building's won't be completely sharp due to the size of the sun.

Light moving 'past' an object tends to diffract more in all directions than if there were no object at all. So the sunlight that gets by the edge of the building hits the edge of your body and diffracts around it, conforming slightly to the shape of your body. I have attached a diagram. I don't know what this effect is specifically called.

Attachments

• diffraction.jpg
    diffraction.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 575
algaidaman said:
My question is dealing with shadows.

I noticed this the other day while standing outside. The shadow that the building cast was on the ground in front of me and was very close to my shadow. I swayed slightly and noticed that both shadows were attracted to one another to the point where they moved, independently of my own movement, and touched. The shadows sppeared "warped"; the straight linear shadow of the building was now slightly bent.

Just being curious I thought this would be the best place to ask. What is this called?

Another effect that you might be seeing:

The edge of the building's shadow (and your own ahadow) may actually be somewhat wider than you perceive it to be - the fainter part of the shadow may not be noticeable to you in the bright sunlight. But when the two faint edges of the two shadows overlap, the sum of the shadows crosses a threshold where your eye can see it.

Yes, that's what I think it is. The fainter "edge" of the shadow is called the penumbra. There's a simplified diagram here:

http://www.schorsch.com/kbase/glossary/penumbra.html

I first encountered the "umbra" and "penumbra" in descriptions of solar and lunar eclipses, but they appear in shadows cast by any extended light source.

jtbell said:
Yes, [penumbra]'s what I think it is.

Do you understand which effect the OP is describing? Actually look at a fairly sharp shadow of a small gap between two digits of your hands, and study this as you very slowly move your hands to nearly close the gap.

algaidaman said:
[..] the straight linear shadow of the building was now slightly bent.

Attachments

• shadow.GIF
    shadow.GIF
    1.3 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
The attached picture has a flat object and a round object with their penumbrae in close proximity to each other.

The upper set of images is viewing the objects with ideal resolution and sensitivity to subtlety.

The lower set of objects is identical except that the sensitivity to gradients has a threshold. Below the threshold the areas appear consistently bright whereas above the threshold the areas appear consistently dark.

It should be noted that I did not "fake" the lower images in any way to get that merging effect. They are an exact duplicate the upper set of images except that I applied a threshold of 50% to them.

Attachments

• diffraction.gif
    diffraction.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
That's interesting.

What is shadow interference?

Shadow interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two light sources create overlapping shadows, resulting in a visible pattern of light and dark areas.

How does shadow interference happen?

Shadow interference happens when light waves from two sources meet and interfere with each other. This can occur when the light sources are close together and the shadows they cast overlap.

What causes shadow interference?

Shadow interference is caused by the superposition of light waves from two sources. When these waves interact, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in the pattern of light and dark areas.

What are some real-life examples of shadow interference?

One common example of shadow interference is when sunlight shines through a window with a screen, creating a pattern of light and dark lines. Other examples include moiré patterns in photography and the colors seen in oil slicks on water.

How is shadow interference used in scientific research?

Shadow interference is used in various fields of science, such as optics and wave interference studies. It can also be used to measure the properties of light and to study the behavior of different types of waves. Additionally, shadow interference is used in various imaging techniques, such as holography and interferometry, to create detailed images of objects and structures.