Solve Airfoil Pressure at 1100m Altitude

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the pressure at a certain point close to an airfoil moving at a velocity of 40m/s at an altitude of 1100m. The formula used is Bernoulli's equation, and there is a discussion about finding the values for p1 and p2. The conversation also includes links to resources for understanding aerodynamics and calculating air pressure.
hallo
Hi,

velocity of air=0, an airfoil or wing with is moving forwards with a velocity of 40m/s at an altitude of 1100m. At a certain point close to the wing (which is a point on top of the wing) ,the air speed relative to the wing is 50m/s.Find the pressure at that point.

Somebody pls help me...

I trz to use the formula of 1/2*(density)*(velocity)^2 + pressure + (density)*g*z which is bernoulli"s equation and is wrong...

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
1/2d*40*40 +p1=1/2d*50*50 +p2. I think this should be it. Is this what you did?

yes,but how to get p1 and p2 ??

static air pressure equals to 1.23 * 9.81 * 1100m . Am I rite?? but the answer is wrong if I use this value...

hallo said:
static air pressure equals to 1.23 * 9.81 * 1100m . Am I rite?? but the answer is wrong if I use this value...
Please provide the units!

It would appear that one is using [itex] \rho{gh}[/itex], and therefore one is finding the pressure at the bottom of a column of air of 1100 m height. Of course, one can subtract that value from 1 atm and obtain an reasonable approximation of the air pressure at 1100m above sea level.

Last edited:

1. What is an airfoil?

An airfoil is a shape or surface, typically curved, that is designed to produce lift when air flows over it. It is commonly used in the design of airplane wings and other aerodynamic structures.

2. How does altitude affect airfoil pressure?

As altitude increases, the air density decreases, resulting in lower air pressure. This can affect the lift and drag forces acting on the airfoil, as well as the stall characteristics.

3. How can airfoil pressure at 1100m altitude be calculated?

Airfoil pressure at a specific altitude can be calculated using Bernoulli's principle, which states that the pressure of a fluid (in this case, air) decreases as its velocity increases. This can be applied to the airfoil by considering the differences in air velocity and pressure above and below the airfoil.

4. What factors can affect airfoil pressure at 1100m altitude?

Some factors that can affect airfoil pressure at 1100m altitude include air density, airspeed, angle of attack, and airfoil shape. Other environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

5. How can airfoil pressure at 1100m altitude impact aircraft performance?

The pressure distribution on an airfoil directly affects the lift and drag forces, which in turn impact the overall performance of an aircraft. A change in airfoil pressure at 1100m altitude can affect factors such as lift, speed, and fuel efficiency, and can also impact the handling and stability of the aircraft.