Keeping your immune system on its toes

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, keeping your immune system "on its toes" may not be the best idea and there are other ways to provide immunity.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Keeping your immune system "on its toes"

So, I've always lived by this philosophy of "keeping your immune system on its toes".

Is this coherent with reality? That if I expose myself to more germs, I strengthen my immune system?

I've always thought people that wrapped their babies in saran wrap were setting them up for all kinds of problems, but it's a complete high-school train of thought I've come to wonder about.

Biology news on Phys.org
I totally agree. Things that apparently are supposed to kill you don't bother me at all. For instance, I use the same dishes for at least a couple of weeks between washings (at work; W won't let me at home). I handle money, which is one of the germiest things on Earth, all day long as my job and don't even bother washing my hands any more before eating or whatever. Also, I refuse to use antibacterial soap unless there's nothing else available. It just kills the good bacteria and causes tolerance in the bad ones.
Lest anyone be terribly disgusted by all of this, let me point out that I've missed one day of work due to illness in the last 35 years.

There have been studies on allergy that suggest that the reason for the fact that the countries of eastern Europe has a less frequency of child allergies than the west is because their culture is not so obsessed with cleaning and that children are therefore exposed to it early on.

http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/algy/a...QQQYGxJjDQZwyydR!-362743511!181195628!8091!-1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9079207&dopt=AbstractPlus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...med.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

Many parents let their babies eat dirt and stuff, yes.

The also have "chicken pox parties" - if some kid catches it, you throw all the kids in a room and let them all catch it - to get it over with.

Danger said:
...I've missed one day of work due to illness in the last 35 years.

mhm...

I'd be more interested in how many days have been missed by the people you have frequent contact with... :eek:

That's not my concern. They probably use antibacterial soap, so they're doomed anyway.

Anyhow, anything that I do or don't do doesn't impact anyone else. When I was tending bar, and thus handling other people's food, drinks, and utensils, I washed my hands with soap at least every 5 or 10 minutes. I also wash thoroughly if I'm cooking for someone else.

Without digressing too far, exposure to domesticated animals provides immunity or protection from some diseases. Cowpox provides immunity to smallpox. Grooms and stall workers were usually plague free during plague years in Europe. The rat flea cannot stand the smell of horse dander, the flea was the major vector (minor was pneumonic plague).

1. How can I keep my immune system strong?

There are several ways to keep your immune system strong. Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains provides essential vitamins and minerals that support immune function. Regular exercise, adequate sleep, and managing stress can also help boost your immune system. Additionally, staying hydrated and avoiding unhealthy habits such as smoking can improve your immune system's ability to fight off infections.

2. Does vitamin C help boost the immune system?

Vitamin C is an important nutrient for immune function. It helps stimulate the production of white blood cells, which are crucial for fighting off infections. However, taking high doses of vitamin C will not necessarily prevent you from getting sick. It is important to consume a balanced diet that includes vitamin C, rather than relying on supplements.

3. Can getting enough sleep improve my immune system?

Yes, getting enough sleep is vital for a healthy immune system. During sleep, your body produces cytokines, which are proteins that help fight off infections and inflammation. Lack of sleep can decrease the production of these proteins, making you more susceptible to illness. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night to support your immune system.

4. Is there a link between exercise and immune system function?

Regular exercise has been shown to have a positive impact on the immune system. It can help increase the circulation of immune cells in the body, making it easier for them to detect and fight off infections. However, too much intense exercise can have a negative effect on the immune system, so it's important to find a balance and not overdo it.

5. Can stress weaken the immune system?

Yes, chronic stress can weaken the immune system. Stress hormones, such as cortisol, can suppress the production of immune cells, making it harder for your body to fight off infections. Finding healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercise, meditation, or spending time with loved ones, can help support your immune system.