Exploring Actual Theory of Electricity

In summary, the conversation revolved around two theories of electricity - conventional theory, taught in high school, which involves electrons moving, and actual theory, which involves the movement of charges between atoms. The discussion also touched on the concept of conventional current and the different approaches to teaching electricity in schools. The speaker is curious about the "actual theory" and asks for resources to learn more about it.
lobe
Ok, so i was talking to my friend about life, the universe and everything, and the conversation swung to the 'dumbing down' of school, when he told me that there are two theories of electricity. Conventional theory, which they teach you in high-school, invilving electrons moving, and Actual theory, involving electrons not moving. Now, i looked at an old test paper from a science GCSE, and at front it did say "Use Conventional theory of electricity". Now, i was wondering, what does 'actual theory' state? Are their any websites you can point me to that explains this?

Many Regards
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Tom. I've never heard of either of those terms, but I've been out of school for over 30 years. Nice to see that our compliment of Douglas Adams fans is growing. :biggrin:

I keep forgetting about that; it's a foreign concept to me because we were taught in high-school Electricity class that it flows from negative to positive. I think that it was Berkeman who tuned me into the positive-negative approach.

Welcome to the Forums, Lobe!
It does sound like the old test paper was reffering to conventional current or convetional flow (the idea that charge runs from positive to negative). But I tyhink your friend was reffernig to the fact that elcetrical current is not really the result of ellectrns moving from one place to another, but rather the charges of the electrons moving form atom to atom.

You see, the movement of electrons through (for example) a wire in a household circuit is very slow. This is called the "electron flow". But the current itself travels at a much greater speed as charge jumps from one atom to another.

1. What is the actual theory of electricity?

The actual theory of electricity is a scientific explanation of how electrical charges interact with one another and with matter. It describes how electric currents are created, how they flow, and how they can be harnessed for various applications.

2. Who developed the actual theory of electricity?

The actual theory of electricity was developed over centuries by numerous scientists and philosophers, including Benjamin Franklin, Michael Faraday, Alessandro Volta, and James Clerk Maxwell. It continues to be studied and refined by scientists today.

3. How does the actual theory of electricity explain the behavior of electrical charges?

The actual theory of electricity explains that all matter is made up of atoms, which contain positively charged protons, negatively charged electrons, and neutral neutrons. When electrons move from one atom to another, they create an electric current. This theory also explains how electric fields are created and how they affect the movement of charged particles.

4. What are the practical applications of the actual theory of electricity?

The actual theory of electricity has numerous practical applications, including powering electrical devices, generating light and heat, and transmitting data through electronic circuits. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

5. How has the actual theory of electricity evolved over time?

The actual theory of electricity has evolved significantly since its inception, from early experiments with static electricity to the development of electromagnetic theory and the understanding of electrical circuits. It continues to be refined and expanded upon as new scientific discoveries are made, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.