Calculating Energy of a 701nm Photon

In summary, to find the energy of a photon emitted by an excited atom with a wavelength of 701 nm, one must use the formula E = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant (6.626e-34 J*s) and c is the speed of light (2.998e8 m/s). After converting the wavelength to meters (701e-9 m), the final calculation is {(2.998e8 m/s)/(701e-9 m)} * (6.626e-34 J*s) = -2.84e-19 J. The answer must be negative since the question states that the atom emits the photon.
leah0084

Homework Statement

An excited atom emits a photon of red light with a wavelength of 701. nm, what is the energy of the photon?----> _________________J

Homework Equations

and for this, my application was

firstly get landa from formula of c=landa * nu

and then landa * h, which is Planck's constant which is 6.626e-34.

since my wavelength is 701 nm, it can be 701e-9 in order to change to meter format.

so my final application would be {(2.998e8m/s)/(701e-9m)} * ( 6.626e-34J*s)= 2.83e-19 (after rounding up to get significant figures which is 3 digits from 701nm)

The Attempt at a Solution

2.83e-19

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Units! 2.83e-19 even if it's correct numerically is still wrong. You *need* to always have units.

2. Stay in symbols! Write down [tex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex], then just substitute in the numbers, after conversion to correct units.

(Btw, it's "lambda" not "landa")

i did put J (unit) at the end as well and it kept telling me wrong. did i do any conversion wrong?

oh, i got it.
the answer needed to be negetive because the question says "emits". so answer had to be negative. i replaced the answer with -2.84e-19 and it was correct. thank you for the help. now i can go to bed.

1. What is the energy of a 701nm photon?

The energy of a 701nm photon is approximately 2.8 electron volts (eV). This energy can also be expressed in joules (J) by using the conversion factor: 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J.

2. How is the energy of a photon calculated?

The energy of a photon can be calculated using the formula E = hf, where E is energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and f is the frequency of the photon in hertz (Hz).

3. How does the energy of a 701nm photon compare to other wavelengths of light?

The energy of a photon is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that shorter wavelengths have higher energy photons than longer wavelengths. For example, a 400nm photon has twice the energy of a 800nm photon.

4. Can the energy of a 701nm photon be changed?

The energy of a photon is determined by its wavelength, which is a characteristic property of light. Therefore, the energy of a 701nm photon cannot be changed unless its wavelength is altered.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the energy of a 701nm photon?

Knowing the energy of a 701nm photon can be useful in various fields such as solar energy, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It can also help in understanding the properties of materials and their interactions with light.