Solving for Water Flow Distance Under Faucet

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of water from a sink faucet and how to calculate the distance at which the water stream narrows to a smaller diameter. The person found the initial and final areas and velocities, and used Bernoulli's equation to solve for the height. However, after realizing their calculation was incorrect, the conversation concludes with a reminder that water accelerates with gravity and the problem is solved.
momogiri
Question:
Water flows out of a 13.0mm-diameter sink faucet at 2.30m/s.
At what distance below the faucet has the water stream narrowed to 10 mm diameter?

What I've done is that...
I found A_1 (faucet) to be 0.0001327m^2
and A_2 (bottom) to be 0.000314159m^2

So I did the whole A_1*v_1 = A_2*v_2 thing
and found v_2 to be 0.915m/s

Then I plugged it in, into Bernoulli's equation
1/2*rho*v_1^2 + rho*g*y_1 = 1/2*rho*v_2^2 + rho*g*y_2 (cancelling out the P_1 and P_2 because they.. cancel..)

In which it is..
0.5*1000*2.3^2 + 1000*9.8*y_1 = 0.5*1000*0,9715^2 + 1000*9.8*y_2

2645 + 9800*y_1 = 471.906 + 9800*y_2
9800*(y_1 - y_2) = -2174.094

So.. h = 0.222m

Or so I thought... It's wrong, so what am I doing wrong? Is it my A_1 and A_2's, etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
and A_2 (bottom) to be 0.000314159m^2
Check this number. What diameter was used?

If the initial velocity is 2.3 m/s, how does one obtain 0.95 m/s for V2? The water accelerates with gravity.

Astronuc said:
Check this number. What diameter was used?

If the initial velocity is 2.3 m/s, how does one obtain 0.95 m/s for V2? The water accelerates with gravity.

:D Thanks for the reminder that water accelerates with gravity
That helped, and I got it :D

1. What is the purpose of solving for water flow distance under a faucet?

The purpose of solving for water flow distance under a faucet is to determine the distance that the water travels from the faucet to the surface below. This is important for various reasons such as preventing water damage, ensuring proper drainage, and determining the effectiveness of water conservation efforts.

2. How is water flow distance under a faucet calculated?

The water flow distance under a faucet is calculated by measuring the vertical distance from the faucet to the surface below and the horizontal distance from the faucet to the edge of the sink or basin. These two measurements are then used in a mathematical equation to determine the total distance that the water travels.

3. What factors can affect water flow distance under a faucet?

There are several factors that can affect water flow distance under a faucet. These include the water pressure, the diameter of the faucet spout, the angle of the faucet, and any obstructions or curves in the plumbing system. Temperature and viscosity of the water can also play a role in altering the flow distance.

4. How does water flow distance under a faucet impact water conservation efforts?

By accurately solving for water flow distance under a faucet, water conservation efforts can be better evaluated and implemented. This information can help identify areas where water is being wasted and improvements can be made to reduce water consumption. Additionally, knowing the flow distance can aid in the proper placement of drainage systems and prevent water from pooling or causing damage.

5. Is it necessary to regularly solve for water flow distance under a faucet?

While it may not be necessary to regularly solve for water flow distance under a faucet, it is recommended to do so periodically. Changes in plumbing or faucet components, such as replacing a faucet or installing a new sink, can alter the flow distance. By reevaluating the flow distance, any necessary adjustments or repairs can be made to ensure efficient and effective water usage.