Unit-Pulse Response for Discrete Time System

In summary, the question is asking to compute the unit-impulse response h[n] for n=0,1,2,3 for the given discrete-time system. The equation can be rewritten as y[n]=2delta[n]-y[n+1]. By definition, the impulse response is the zero state response when the input is an impulse, so y[0] = 0. By substituting x[n] with the impulse function and solving iteratively, the values for y[1], y[2], and y[3] can be obtained. The same reasoning applies to a similar equation with more terms, and the z-transform method can also be used.
hoser1000
The question is: Compute the unit-impulse response h[n] for n=0,1,2,3 for each of the following discrete-time systems.

Equation:
y[n+1] + y[n] = 2x[n]

I am trying to figure out how to solve this equation. I understand the example in the book but I don't understand what to do when it calls a future value (n+1)

I rewrote the equation as:
y[n]=2delta[n]-y[n+1]

When n=0 delta[n] is 1 so:
y[0]=2*1-y[1]<-----This is where I am getting confused. Doesn't y[1] refer to my answer when I use the value n=1? How can I get a solution if each equation will refer to the next future equation? The example in the book uses y[n-1] so for each value of n it refers to the previous answer for y[n].

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hoser1000 said:
The question is: Compute the unit-impulse response h[n] for n=0,1,2,3 for each of the following discrete-time systems.

Equation:
y[n+1] + y[n] = 2x[n]

I am trying to figure out how to solve this equation. I understand the example in the book but I don't understand what to do when it calls a future value (n+1)

I rewrote the equation as:
y[n]=2delta[n]-y[n+1]

When n=0 delta[n] is 1 so:
y[0]=2*1-y[1]<-----This is where I am getting confused. Doesn't y[1] refer to my answer when I use the value n=1? How can I get a solution if each equation will refer to the next future equation? The example in the book uses y[n-1] so for each value of n it refers to the previous answer for y[n].

Any help would be much appreciated!

It is exactly the contrary of what you did. You should write y[n+1] as a function of y[n] and x[n].
By definition, the impulse response of a system is the zero state response of that system when the input is an impulse, so you have y[0] = 0.
Now substitute x[n] by the impulse function and solve iteratively for y[1], y[2], y[3].

Why don't you use Z transforms. That'll provide you with some more insight.

Hey,

Does this same reasoning apply if the equation is:

y[n+2] + y[n+1] + y[n] = x[n+1] - x[n]

if so, i too am lost.

is there another way to describe it?
or could you just go through it step by step

draakon said:
Hey,

Does this same reasoning apply if the equation is:

y[n+2] + y[n+1] + y[n] = x[n+1] - x[n]

if so, i too am lost.

is there another way to describe it?
or could you just go through it step by step

The reasoning is the same. Start with n = -1.
x[n] = x[-1] = 0
x[n+1] = x[0] = 1
x[n+2] = x[n+3] = ... = 0
y[n] = y[-1] = 0
y[n+1] = y[0] = 0
Or, as unplebeian suggested, use the z-transform

1. What is a Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System?

A Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System is the output of a system when a unit pulse (a single impulse) is applied as the input. It is a representation of the system's behavior and characteristics.

2. How is a Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System calculated?

The Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System is calculated by taking the inverse discrete Fourier transform of the frequency response function or by using the convolution sum formula.

3. What information can be obtained from the Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System?

The Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System can provide information about the stability, causality, and time-domain behavior of the system. It can also be used to determine the system's transfer function, which describes the relationship between the input and output signals.

4. How does the Unit-Pulse Response change for different types of systems?

The Unit-Pulse Response can vary depending on the type of system. For example, a stable system will have a bounded and decaying response, while an unstable system will have an unbounded and growing response. Additionally, different types of systems, such as linear and non-linear systems, will have different types of responses.

5. Why is the Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System important in system analysis?

The Unit-Pulse Response for a Discrete Time System is important in system analysis because it provides a way to understand and analyze the behavior of a system. It allows us to predict the output of a system for any given input signal, which is crucial in designing and optimizing systems for specific applications.