Exploring Our Atmosphere's Protection from Cosmic Rays

In summary: I can't think of the right wording. :) Try looking for "research papers" or "scientific papers" or "academic papers". Those are usually the kind of things you'll need. In summary, our atmosphere protects us from cosmic rays with the help of different gases.
hagopbul
Our atmosphere?

Our atmosphere protect us from the cosmic rays what it consist of(the cosmic rays and the atmosphere)? How much is its power?
How it (the atmosphere) stop these rays? What happened in high level of the atmosphere to stop it?
What are the best gases (in the atmosphere) that stop the cosmic rays?
Where should I look in the net to find sophisticated and deep information about this subject?
thank you all ! :smile:

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Our atmosphere?

Our atmosphere protect us from the cosmic rays what it consist of(the cosmic rays and the atmosphere)? How much is its power?
How it (the atmosphere) stop these rays? What happened in high level of the atmosphere to stop it?
What are the best gases (in the atmosphere) that stop the cosmic rays?
Where should I look in the net to find sophisticated and deep information about this subject?
thank you all

- "Our atmosphere protect us from the cosmic rays what it consist of(the cosmic rays and the atmosphere)?"

Our atmosphere consist of nitrogen,oxygen,argon,carbon dioxide and various other gases.

It protects life on Earth by absorbing ultraviolet solar radiation.

- "How it (the atmosphere) stop these rays? What happened in high level of the atmosphere to stop it?"

The atmosphere(composed of several chemical elements) simply absorb these rays.

- "What are the best gases (in the atmosphere) that stop the cosmic rays?"

There are no "best gases" that protects us from UV. The atmosphere is composed of various chemicals that are involved in the process of sustaining life on earth.

- "Where should I look in the net to find sophisticated and deep information about this subject?

www.google.com :smile:

Last edited:
hagopbul said:
How much is its power?

What do you mean by that :confused:?

how many Mev i mean.and cosmic rays are not only uv there is beta ,gamma,neutrons,alpha,positrons,etc... and i need exactly what
and i know all your info but i need how exactly and believe me google won't help

hagopbul said:
how many Mev i mean.and cosmic rays are not only uv there is beta ,gamma,neutrons,alpha,positrons,etc... and i need exactly what
and i know all your info but i need how exactly and believe me google won't help
If you can't find what you want online, go to a library. Ask the librarian for what you are looking for. Are you in school?

I think he might mean how much does it filter out.

Just to add - member that a lot of the sun's radiation is also deflected away from us by the Earth's magnetic field.

O-Zone...in the o-zone layer...does a fair amount of the work and is also a result of absorbing UV photons. O-zone is made up of O3, unlike the usually found O2 energy is needed to create it this is provided by the UV photons that collide with it.

Your questions are not well constructed, It's slightly hard to understand your questions...:smile:

Last edited:
hagopbul said:

Hi hagopbul!

Wikipedia is a mine of information, regularly used by members of this forum.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and type "cosmic rays" (or whatever else you're interested in) into the Search box. :smile:

Mike Cookson said:
O-Zone...in the o-zone layer...does a fair amount of the work and is also a result of absorbing UV photons. O-zone is made up of O3, unlike the usually found O2 energy is needed to create it this is provided by the UV photons that collide with it.
It is simply "ozone". Its root is neither 'o' nor 'zone'.

no i am not in school the books that i need are not reachable and all what i need to start my research or we can say mini research that why i am trying the pf now !

Try to search a little more, you will definitely find some useful informations. Its your research, we can't do the work for you.

tiny-tim said:
Hi hagopbul!

Wikipedia is a mine of information, regularly used by members of this forum.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and type "cosmic rays" (or whatever else you're interested in) into the Search box. :smile:

Hmm.. I'm not too keen with the informations provided on Wikipedia. Anyone can write/modify an article...

no i don't need to do the work for me i need the basic information only how much its power in Mev, how it react with our atmosphere ,equations (the basics only then i will resume my research on one gas only (argon) but how would i do it if the basic staff is not there...

Try searching(try different websites), it'll really help you...

Its your research, even if you don't have the basic information, you are suppose to find it.

Last edited:
yes in this i agree with you but the basic info consist only 0.01%
and i did not find this basic in any where... all what i found is like what you said in your first
post the normal and easy stuff ... it protect us ...bla bla bla...

the basic info consist only 0.8% of my research only...
and i am trying different web sites but... they all use the same old stuff it protect us it etc...
like your 1st post...
and i am trying to find this basics but ... as you see it is not working and i don't know where to look... for god sayck it is only the basic..?

This is what you want.

http://www.srl.caltech.edu/personnel/dick/cos_encyc.html

O2 is bad in the upper atmasphere because it reacts with 03 to create 02+02+h all of which cannot absorb cosmic rays as well. That is why a whole in the ozone layer is bad, because uvs are not filtered as much through them.

I think it has to do with having more than 2 atoms in the molecule, and how they are bonded. Some molecule are able to vibrate at a frequency which can resonate with certain frequencies of radiation, i guess what is happening is not really that the molecule absorbs the ray in the sense that a sponge absorbs water or anything like that. Energy from the radiation is turned into vibrational energy of the molecules.

Last edited:
thank you all it really helped

1. What are cosmic rays?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles that originate from outside of our solar system and travel through space at nearly the speed of light. They can include protons, electrons, and atomic nuclei.

2. How do cosmic rays affect our atmosphere?

When cosmic rays enter Earth's atmosphere, they collide with gas molecules and create a shower of secondary particles. These particles can ionize atoms and molecules in the atmosphere, which can lead to changes in the chemistry and composition of our atmosphere.

3. What is the role of our atmosphere in protecting us from cosmic rays?

Our atmosphere acts as a natural shield against cosmic rays. The Earth's magnetic field and the density of our atmosphere work together to deflect, absorb, and scatter cosmic rays, preventing them from reaching us at the Earth's surface.

4. Can cosmic rays be harmful to humans?

Yes, in large doses, cosmic rays can be harmful to humans. They can damage cells and DNA, which can lead to health issues such as cancer. However, the levels of cosmic rays that reach the Earth's surface are relatively low and do not pose a significant risk to our health.

5. How do scientists study the protection of our atmosphere from cosmic rays?

Scientists use various instruments, such as satellites, balloons, and ground-based detectors, to measure the flux and energy of cosmic rays. They also study the effects of cosmic rays on our atmosphere and climate through computer simulations and laboratory experiments.