Fundamental Frequency and Pipe Length Calculation for Open Pipes

In summary, the open pipe in air is producing 2 successive harmonics at 235 Hz and 275 Hz at 20 degrees Celsius. The fundamental frequency and length of the pipe are unknown. The equation Frequency=V/2L may be used to solve this problem. By increasing the number of nodes, the general formula for any harmonic can be derived. The relationship between successive harmonics can be understood by looking at the link provided.
jhayes25
My question goes as follows:

An open pipe in air is designed to produced 2 successive harmonics at 235 Hz and 275 Hz at 20 degrees Celsius.
What is the fundamental frequency?
What is the length of the pipe (m)?

I'm not sure how to solve this problem, as I can't find the equation to properly relate the information I have. Would you use Frequency=V/2L?

Physics news on Phys.org
jhayes25 said:
I'm not sure how to solve this problem, as I can't find the equation to properly relate the information I have. Would you use Frequency=V/2L?

Have you understood how the above relationship is derived? If you have, then by increasing the number of nodes formed within the pipe, you can derive the general formula for any harmonic.

I'm not sure that I understand the relationship you are talking about. How do you relate the successive harmonics?

jhayes25 said:
I'm not sure that I understand the relationship you are talking about. How do you relate the successive harmonics?

Have a look at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/opecol.html" first.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is fundamental frequency?

Fundamental frequency refers to the lowest frequency of a complex sound wave. It is also known as the first harmonic or the fundamental tone.

How is fundamental frequency measured?

Fundamental frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is typically determined by the rate of vibration of the vocal folds in the larynx for human speech or the rate of vibration of a string for musical instruments.

How does fundamental frequency affect pitch?

The fundamental frequency is directly related to the perceived pitch of a sound. A higher fundamental frequency corresponds to a higher perceived pitch, while a lower fundamental frequency corresponds to a lower perceived pitch.

Why is fundamental frequency important in speech?

Fundamental frequency plays a crucial role in speech production as it determines the pitch of our voice. It also helps to convey emotion and emphasis in speech.

How does fundamental frequency vary between individuals?

The fundamental frequency can vary greatly between individuals and is influenced by factors such as age, gender, and vocal health. On average, adult males have a lower fundamental frequency than adult females, and children have a higher fundamental frequency than adults.