Two wheels and angular acceleration

In summary, Don tried to use the angular acceleration equations (that are like the kineticmatics equations) to solve for the angular speed of wheel C, but he got incorrect answers because the acceleration is given above.
rosstheboss23
[SOLVED] Two wheels and angular acceleration

Homework Statement

In the figure below, wheel A of radius rA = 11 cm is coupled by belt B to wheel C of radius rC = 25 cm. The angular speed of wheel A is increased from rest at a constant rate of 1.6 rad/s2. Find the time needed for wheel C to reach an angular speed of 120 rev/min, assuming the belt does not slip. Linear speeds of two rims must be equal.

Homework Equations

v=wr; a= w(squared)r

The Attempt at a Solution

v=wr so v1=v2? Then I tried to use this equation w(squared)r=a And then tried using the angular acceleration equations(that are like the kineticmatics equations). The answers I got using these equations though I think should be wrong because the acceleration is give above. Can someone help explain the concept. I can do the brute work if I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
rosstheboss23 said:
v=wr so v1=v2? Then I tried to use this equation w(squared)r=a And then tried using the angular acceleration equations(that are like the kineticmatics equations). The answers I got using these equations though I think should be wrong because the acceleration is give above. Can someone help explain the concept. I can do the brute work if I know.
Hey ross,

I'm not quite sure what your saying here, could you show your steps explicitly?

I assumed that velocity was the same for both around the wheels so since the v is the same for w1r1 and w2r2 where w2 is equal to 120rev/min which I convert to roughly 13 rad/s. The radii for both equations are given to be .11m for r1 and .25m for r2 so I solved for equation v2=w2r2 by plugging in 13(.25) and got roughly 3.25 m/s which I used for v1 and solved for angular speed in v1=w1r1. The angular speed for this I got to be roughly around 30rad/s. Then I used the kinematics equation V= Vo +at using 30rad/s for V and 0 for Vo and then for acceleration the 1.6 rad/s(squared) provided. Does this sound like a legitimate way of trying to solve the problem?

rosstheboss23 said:
I assumed that velocity was the same for both around the wheels so since the v is the same for w1r1 and w2r2 where w2 is equal to 120rev/min which I convert to roughly 13 rad/s. The radii for both equations are given to be .11m for r1 and .25m for r2 so I solved for equation v2=w2r2 by plugging in 13(.25) and got roughly 3.25 m/s which I used for v1 and solved for angular speed in v1=w1r1. The angular speed for this I got to be roughly around 30rad/s. Then I used the kinematics equation V= Vo +at using 30rad/s for V and 0 for Vo and then for acceleration the 1.6 rad/s(squared) provided. Does this sound like a legitimate way of trying to solve the problem?
Your method looks spot on too me :approve:

Good. Thanks alot. I appreciate your help.

rosstheboss23 said:
Good. Thanks alot. I appreciate your help.
A pleasure :smile:

Don't forget to mark the thread as solved when your done, thanks.

1. What is angular acceleration and how does it relate to two wheels?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. In the context of two wheels, angular acceleration refers to how quickly the wheels change their rotational speed.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated for two wheels?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. In the case of two wheels, this would be the change in rotational speed of the wheels divided by the time it takes for the change to occur.

3. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of two wheels?

Several factors can affect the angular acceleration of two wheels, including the mass of the wheels, the force applied to the wheels, and the friction between the wheels and the surface they are rolling on. The shape and size of the wheels can also impact their angular acceleration.

4. How does angular acceleration impact the stability of a two-wheeled vehicle?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in the stability of a two-wheeled vehicle. If the angular acceleration is too high, it can cause the vehicle to lose balance and tip over. On the other hand, a proper balance of angular acceleration is necessary to maintain stability while the vehicle is in motion.

5. Can angular acceleration be controlled or manipulated in two-wheeled vehicles?

Yes, angular acceleration can be controlled and manipulated in two-wheeled vehicles through various means such as adjusting the weight distribution, changing the shape or size of the wheels, and applying external forces. Advanced technologies, such as gyroscopes, can also be used to stabilize the vehicle and control its angular acceleration.