Circular Motion - Roadway Bank Angle

In summary, the force required to keep a 3000 pound car on a circular path is 0.599534*mass of the car. The angle at which the roadway should be banked so that lateral forces are avoided is arctan(179.86/300g).
JeffNYC

Homework Statement

A) 3000 pound car is negotiating a circular interchange or radius 300ft at 30mph. Assuming the road is level, find the force between the tires and the road such that the car stays on the circular path without skidding.

B) Next, Find the angle at which the roadway should be banked so that no lateral force is exerted on the tires of the automobile.

Homework Equations

F = ma
m = 3000/32
tanθ = v^2 / rg
θ = tan-1(v^2 / rg ) .
v = velocity of the vehicle = 30
r = radius of banking = 300
g = accleration due top gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know - this is a question from a calculus course and is one of the more challenging problems at the chapter's end. Having never taken even introductory physics, if anyone could help me out with the calculations + brief explanation that would be wonderful.

Jeff

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JeffNYC said:

Homework Statement

A) 3000 pound car is negotiating a circular interchange or radius 300ft at 30mph. Assuming the road is level, find the force between the tires and the road such that the car stays on the circular path without skidding.

B) Next, Find the angle at which the roadway should be banked so that no lateral force is exerted on the tires of the automobile.

Homework Equations

F = ma
m = 3000/32
tanθ = v^2 / rg
θ = tan-1(v^2 / rg ) .
v = velocity of the vehicle = 30
r = radius of banking = 300
g = accleration due top gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know - this is a question from a calculus course and is one of the more challenging problems at the chapter's end. Having never taken even introductory physics, if anyone could help me out with the calculations + brief explanation that would be wonderful.

Jeff

The first question is asking you what the centripetal acceleration on the car is. You converted your weight to mass, but you need to convert your speed to seconds to make this calculation correctly. (Once you have the acceleration you use the mass to determine the force.

The second part is asking where the lateral forces on the tires (similar to what you just calculated but taking the angle into account) will balance with the inward component of weight down the incline. Since they are supposed to balance you need not be concerned with friction.

So,

1 mph = 0.44704 meters per second
30mph = 13.4112 meters per second

Centripetal Acceleration = (13.4112`^2)/300

= 0.599534*mass = .5999534*93.75 = 56.2063

So I have my acceleration now.

So, θ = tan-1(v^2 / rg )

= arctan(179.86/300g)

what do I use for "g"?

JeffNYC said:
So,

1 mph = 0.44704 meters per second
30mph = 13.4112 meters per second

Centripetal Acceleration = (13.4112`^2)/300

= 0.599534*mass = .5999534*93.75 = 56.2063

So I have my acceleration now.

So, θ = tan-1(v^2 / rg )

= arctan(179.86/300g)

what do I use for "g"?

If you are using meters per second then 9.8m/s2 is the acceleration you need.

But you also need to convert 300 feet to meters too.

1. What is roadway bank angle?

Roadway bank angle is the angle at which a road or track is sloped or tilted perpendicular to the ground. It is also known as the incline or cant of a roadway.

2. Why is roadway bank angle important in circular motion?

Roadway bank angle is important in circular motion because it helps vehicles maintain stability and traction while making turns. By tilting the roadway, the centripetal force required for circular motion is reduced, allowing the vehicle to maintain a constant speed without slipping or skidding.

3. How is roadway bank angle calculated?

Roadway bank angle is calculated using the formula tan θ = v2 / rg, where θ is the bank angle, v is the speed of the vehicle, r is the radius of the turn, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation θ = arctan (v2 / rg).

4. What factors affect the ideal roadway bank angle?

The ideal roadway bank angle depends on several factors, including the speed of the vehicle, the radius of the turn, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface. Other factors such as the weight and design of the vehicle may also play a role in determining the ideal bank angle.

5. How does roadway bank angle impact the safety of driving?

The roadway bank angle has a significant impact on the safety of driving, especially at high speeds. If the bank angle is too steep, it can cause the vehicle to lose traction and veer off the road, leading to accidents. On the other hand, if the bank angle is too shallow, it may not provide enough centripetal force for the vehicle to make the turn safely. Therefore, it is essential to carefully design and maintain roadway bank angles to ensure the safety of drivers.