Velocity, acceleration, displacement

In summary, the problem involves a cab driver picking up a customer and delivering them 2.00km away on a straight route. The driver accelerates to the speed limit and then immediately begins decelerating, with the magnitude of deceleration being three times that of acceleration. The lengths of the acceleration and deceleration phases can be found using the equation V2 = 2*a*x, where x represents the distance traveled during the acceleration phase and (2-x) represents the distance traveled during the deceleration phase. Setting the two phases equal to each other allows for solving for the values of x and (2-x), giving the lengths of the two phases.
rphung

Homework Statement

a cab driver picks up a customer and delivers her 2.00km away, on a straight route. The driver accelerates to the speed limit and, on reaching it, begins to decelerate at once. the magnitude of the deceleration is three times the magnitude of the acceleration. find the lengths of the acceleration and deceleration phases.

Homework Equations

vf=vi+at
x=xi+vit+.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to begin. I tried setting up multiple equations but i keep getting more variables then equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
rphung said:

Homework Statement

a cab driver picks up a customer and delivers her 2.00km away, on a straight route. The driver accelerates to the speed limit and, on reaching it, begins to decelerate at once. the magnitude of the deceleration is three times the magnitude of the acceleration. find the lengths of the acceleration and deceleration phases.

Homework Equations

vf=vi+at
x=xi+vit+.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to begin. I tried setting up multiple equations but i keep getting more variables then equations.

Consider using the equation V2 = 2*a*x
The acceleration phase is x and the deceleration distance is (2 - x) right?
Since the V is the same:

2*a*x = 2*3a*(2-x)

can you explain why the v's are the same?

I thought the equation was vf^2=vi^2+2ad and when the car starts deaccelerating the vi is some unknown velocity while the vf will be 0

rphung said:
can you explain why the v's are the same?

I thought the equation was vf^2=vi^2+2ad and when the car starts deaccelerating the vi is some unknown velocity while the vf will be 0

Sure.

You have an acceleration phase. It gets to the speed limit from 0. That would be the first equation.
The second is from the speed limit back to 0. Same speed limit. Same speed. Then you can set the two equal.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity different from speed?

While speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's movement.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity and can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of an object's change in position. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the object's starting and ending points, regardless of the path taken in between.

How are velocity, acceleration, and displacement related?

Velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time, and acceleration is the derivative of velocity with respect to time. In other words, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement.