Newons laws on calculating force upon impact.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the force of impact between two objects with given masses and speed, as well as calculating the change in momentum and energy of each object. The formula F=ma is mentioned as a means of finding the force, but the impact is noted to occur over a period of time and not instantaneously. The impact will only result in the objects coming to a complete rest if they have the same mass.
hed54
I am currently trying to work out if two objects,
of given mass X and Y, (given in KG)
are both traveling toward each other at Zmps,
and collide head on, and come to a complete rest.
how do i find the force of each object on impact. Without taking into account air resisitance.
I'm aware of the formula
F=ma
does this then mean simply

X*Z= A Newtons
Y*Z= B Newtons
A+B= combined force of two vehicles

If so, Given that the two objects are Cars & have a crumple zone of 1.3m how will this affect my calculation.

Also, how do i calculate change in momentum, and change in energy of each vehicle?
any help appreciated as i am baffled.

Physics news on Phys.org
hed54 said:
given mass X and Y, (given in KG)
are both traveling toward each other at Zmps,
and collide head on, and come to a complete rest.
By conservation of momentum this will only happen if X=Y. Do you want them to come to a complete rest, or do you want them to have different masses?

hed54 said:
how do i find the force of each object on impact.

The impact will take some small amount of time to happen, it doesn't occur instantaneously. The force will depend on how long this takes.

f = Δp / Δt

forgive my earlier mistake, they do not come to a complete stop, they do have different masses. And i though that impact is an instant not a event over a period of time.

hed54 said:
i though that impact is an instant not a event over a period of time.
In the case of an instantaneous impact the force is infinite.

1. What are Newton's laws on calculating force upon impact?

Newton's laws of motion state that the force of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater an object's mass or acceleration, the greater the force it will exert upon impact.

2. How is Newton's second law applied to calculating force upon impact?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. By knowing the mass and acceleration of an object, we can calculate the force it will exert upon impact.

3. What factors affect the force upon impact according to Newton's laws?

According to Newton's laws, the force upon impact is affected by the mass and acceleration of the object. Other factors that may affect the force include the speed and direction of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it.

4. Can Newton's laws be used to calculate force upon impact for all objects?

Yes, Newton's laws apply to all objects regardless of their mass or velocity. However, for objects that are extremely small or moving at very high speeds, we may need to use more advanced equations, such as those from Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. How can Newton's laws of motion be applied practically to calculate force upon impact?

Newton's laws can be used to design and engineer structures, vehicles, and safety equipment that can withstand different levels of force upon impact. By understanding the laws of motion, we can also predict and prevent potential accidents by considering the forces involved in a given situation.