Magnet & Currents: Can Moving a Magnet Induce a Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inducing a current by moving a magnet within a coiled wire for a short period of time. It is confirmed that this is possible regardless of which end of the magnet is used. The concept of induction is further explained using parallel coils and transformers. The conversation ends with a final question about lighting up a bulb using this method.
Coach
Hello everyone!

I have been searching all over the internet for an answer to this question:
will moving a magnet within a coiled wire induce a current even if the magnet "stays" within the coiled wire for a matter of seconds?
I am planning an improvement to an experiment where a magnet attached to a pendulum will oscillate inducing a current at either side of the maximum displacement, and hence I wonder, if it is possible.

Physics is not my strongest field so all answers and help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
YES.
And it makes no difference whether you use the N or S end of the magnet..the induced currents will be equal but opposite direction. A similar induction can be accomplished via a pair of parallel coils where one carries a fixed current and the other doesn't..relative motion induces currents in the other. An analogous effect occurs in tranformers where instead of motion causing the changing magnetic field and ac current varies the field and again currents are induced.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I have just one more little(dum) question: so if I have a circuit with one end connected to one end of the coiled wire, a light bulb in the middle of the circuit and the terminal end of the circuit connected to the other end of the coiled wire, when the magnet runs through the wire, the light bulb will light up?

Thank you so much for the taking the time. :)

What is a magnet?

A magnet is a material or object that produces a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel certain materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. Magnets have two poles, a north pole and a south pole, and opposite poles attract while like poles repel.

What is current?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge, typically in the form of electrons, through a conductor such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and can be either direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC).

How is current induced by a moving magnet?

When a magnet is moved near a conductor, such as a wire, it creates a changing magnetic field which can induce an electric current in the wire. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis of how generators and motors work.

What factors affect the amount of current induced?

The amount of current induced by a moving magnet depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed and direction of the movement, the angle between the magnet and the conductor, and the characteristics of the conductor itself.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including generators that produce electricity, transformers that change the voltage of electrical systems, and motors that convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is also used in devices such as headphones, speakers, and microphones.