Is this correct (buoyabcy forces - irregular object)?

• Thread starter alibaba2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: B and F both contribute to the overall buoyancy force acting on the object. However, the pressure at these points will be different due to their varying depths below the surface of the water. The volume of water trapped between B and F will exert a downward pressure, but this can be calculated by determining the volume of the object and using the buoyant force equation.
alibaba2
hi, i have an irregular object submerged in water . i would like to verify if I've understood the forces that act on this:
sides A & F - downward force due to weight of water above objects
sides E & D - left nad right force - neutralizing each other
sides B & C - upward buoyancy force

how do sides B & F affect the buoyancy of the object? if it were a regular cube i would understand,
what bothers me is how much downward pressure does the volume of water trapped between B & F exert if side B is 10" and side F is 10.2". the height of the water column between B&F is 1". the distance from A to B is 12".

the depth that the cube is submerged is 30feet.
thanks

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
alibaba2 said:
hi, i have an irregular object submerged in water . i would like to verify if I've understood the forces that act on this:
sides A & F - downward force due to weight of water above objects
sides E & D - left nad right force - neutralizing each other
sides B & C - upward buoyancy force

how do sides B & F affect the buoyancy of the object? if it were a regular cube i would understand,
what bothers me is how much downward pressure does the volume of water trapped between B & F exert if side B is 10" and side F is 10.2". the height of the water column between B&F is 1". the distance from A to B is 12".

the depth that the cube is submerged is 30feet.
thanks

The hydrostatic pressure at any point in a fluid is equal to pgh (neglecting atmospheric). Therefore the pressure at B and F will be dependent on their individual heights (h) below the surface of the fluid. B will produce an upward force, and F a downward force.

BTW, you can just calculate the volume of the irregular shaped object and determine the buoyant force instead of using a pressure field approach.

CS

Yes, your understanding of the forces acting on the irregular object is correct. Sides A and F experience a downward force due to the weight of water above the object, while sides E and D have equal and opposite forces that cancel each other out. Sides B and C experience an upward buoyancy force due to the displacement of water by the object.

In terms of how sides B and F affect the buoyancy of the object, it depends on the shape and size of the object. If the object is a regular cube, then the buoyancy force would be evenly distributed across all sides. However, for an irregular object, the buoyancy force may be stronger on certain sides depending on their shape and size.

To calculate the downward pressure exerted by the volume of water between sides B and F, you would need to know the density of the water and the dimensions of the object. The pressure would increase with depth, so at 30 feet, the pressure would be greater than at the surface.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of buoyancy forces on an irregular object in water.

1. What are buoyancy forces?

Buoyancy forces are the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. This force is a result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object, and it is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How do buoyancy forces act on an irregular object?

Buoyancy forces act on an irregular object in the same way as they would on a regular object. The only difference is that the pressure difference and the resulting force may vary at different points on the object due to its irregular shape.

3. What factors affect the buoyancy force on an object?

The buoyancy force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the object also play a role in determining the buoyancy force.

4. How do you calculate the buoyancy force on an object?

The buoyancy force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged in the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. For irregular objects, this calculation may need to be done at different points on the object and then summed together.

5. What is the significance of understanding buoyancy forces on irregular objects?

Understanding buoyancy forces on irregular objects is important for various applications, such as designing ships and submarines, calculating the weight of objects in water, and predicting the behavior of objects in fluids. It also helps in understanding the principles of flotation and the stability of floating objects.