A thrustless propulsion device Help me out

In summary, this device used pool balls to propel itself across the floor. It was claimed to be without any reaction, which is not true.
Anticitizen
About a decade or so ago, I came across a website that featured a reactionless drive some guy built in his garage. My google-fu is weak, and I can't seem to find any info on it on the net anymore, and was hoping someone knew something about it. It worked as follows:

There are two rings, set parallel to each other, but skewed slightly. There is a ball (or series of balls) that spin around inside the ring.

Here is my crappy paintbrush representation:

device.JPG

The rig he built had pool balls, I believe, propelled by a motor with a spinning disc located in the center that hit each ball and sent it spinning around the rings at high speed.

(It had another 'retainer ring' to keep the balls from falling out as well.)

He had the whole rig set up on wheels.

There were videos on the site showing the thing scooting across the floor when powered on, dragging an extension cord behind it.

To the best of my memory, this is how it worked:

The ball, when approaching the narrow end of the rings, would spin faster than it would at the other end. Due to some quirk of conservation of momentum, it would carry momentum in that direction (the narrow end) causing the whole rig to move in that direction. Or maybe it moved in the opposite direction, I can't recall.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about, or otherwise can help me address the physics involved here?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as reactionless propulsion. Devices such as the one you mention work by unevenly harnessing static friction and hopping up and down.

Also, reactionless propulsion is a crackpot subject and therefore not something we discuss here.

I shouldn't have said reactionless. Thrustless, as used in the thread topic, was the correct term.

What is a thrustless propulsion device?

A thrustless propulsion device is a type of propulsion system that does not rely on the generation of thrust or the expulsion of mass to move an object forward. Instead, it uses alternative methods such as electromagnetic fields, ion beams, or gravitational forces to generate motion.

How does a thrustless propulsion device work?

The specific mechanism of a thrustless propulsion device depends on the type being used. However, most thrustless propulsion devices work by creating a force that pushes against an external field, such as an electromagnetic field, to generate motion without the need for thrust.

What are the advantages of using a thrustless propulsion device?

Thrustless propulsion devices have several potential advantages, such as increased efficiency, reduced fuel consumption, and longer operational lifetime. They also have the potential to enable faster and more precise movements, making them useful for space exploration and other applications.

Are there any drawbacks to using a thrustless propulsion device?

While thrustless propulsion devices offer several advantages, they also have some limitations. One of the main drawbacks is the current lack of practical and reliable technology for implementing these devices on a large scale. Additionally, they may require significant energy inputs, making them less efficient in certain situations.

What are some potential applications of thrustless propulsion devices?

Thrustless propulsion devices have a wide range of potential applications, including space exploration, satellite propulsion, and deep space missions. They may also have uses in terrestrial transportation, such as high-speed trains, and in the military for missile defense systems.