Electricity and Magnetism questions Gauss's law, groundingetc.

In summary: So take r=0.3 cm and integrate from 0 to 1 over that x axis. The equation will be cos(theta)+i sin(theta), or in this case cos(0)+i sin(0). So the equation would be cos(0)+i sin(0).
mmmboh
Electricity and Magnetism questions...Gauss's law, grounding..etc.

Alright so I am finally starting to understand the material, but I have a few questions.

1. An insulating spherical shell with an inner radius of 0.1cm and outer radius of 0.3 cm carries a total charge of 20nC. Use Gauss's law to find an expression for the electric field at a distance of r=0.08cm, r=0.2cm, r=0.4cm.

So the area of a shell is 4πR^2. EA=Qin/E0, so E=Qin/(4πR^2E0).
Now I know for the r=0.4cm one I can just use Qin=20nC because the whole charge is enclosed, but for the one's where the whole charge isn't enclosed I believe I do Qin=[tex]\sigma[/tex]4πr^2, and so E=[tex]\sigma[/tex]4πr^2/(4πR^2E0)...is this equation correct? and I am a bit confused about what to make r and R and when...like when it is in the inner radius is R=0.1 cm or is it still 0.3cm and why if so? can someone help me out please?

2. An arc with a length of 6cm and a radius of 3cm carries a uniform charge of 10nC. Derive an expression for the magnitude and direction of electric field at the center.

Ok so I am not sure if you are suppose to use Gauss's law or Coulomb's law and integrate for this question...can someone help me get started and point me in the right direction please?

3. A hollow conducting sphere has a radii of 0.8m and 1.2m. It surrounds a charge of +300nC, and the hollow sphere carries a charge of -200nC. Find the charge density on its inner and outer surfaces. B) if the outer surface of the shell is grounded, then the charge on the inner surface is _________ and on the outer surface is _______.

Ok I already found the charge densities, they are -37.3 nC on the inner surface and 5.53 on the outer surface. However I am not sure what happens if the outer surface of the shell is grounded. :S

Physics news on Phys.org

For 1. you will want to remember that with Gaussian surfaces you are interested in the charge enclosed.

For 2. exploit the symmetry about the axis, such that you have charge elements dq that contribute twice the E at distance r times the cos of the angle from 0 to 1 radian. (Your arc is 2 radians, so just use half the arc and double in the direction of the axis. By symmetry the orthogonal components to the axis will cancel.)

For 3-b. after you attach it to ground, it looks like a capacitor to ground between the inner surface and the central charge. Hmmm. Didn't you already calculate that?

1. Ok so for the r=0.0008m one EA=Qin/E0
A=4πr^2
Qin=[tex]\sigma[/tex]Ain=(20uc/4π0.003^2)(4π0.0008^2) (is 0.003 right or should I use 0.001 since 0.0008 is inside the 0.001cm radius...but the charge is from 0.1cm-0.3cm right so why would it matter?)
so Qin=1.42uC
and then E=Qin/(AE0)
so E=1.42uC/(4πr^2E0)
so since...ugh :S...do I use 0.3cm as r for the area, or do I use 0.3cm-0.1cm=0.2cm...or is it 0.1 cm? and does it change from point to point or is the r for the area constant? This is what I am confused about...

3. So are you saying that the outer surface becomes 0 and the inner surface remains -37.3 nC?

Since there is no charge inside .01cm what field is there at .008?

For 3. if the conductor is grounded, and the E = 0 inside the conductor, how else could there be no net charge inside a Gaussian spherical surface just farther away than the inside surface of the conductor?

1.Ah I see, so the charge at 0.08cm is zero. Ok so then at 0.2 cm you would use the radius as 0.3 cm right?

3.If the gaussian surface is inside the area of the conductor then E=0...so the inside becomes zero and the outside becomes the outside plus the inside? sorry I am confused :S.

And for 2. E=[tex]\int[/tex]KdQ/r^2
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/l=10nC/6cm=166.7nC/m
r=0.03m
dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]
and we integrate from 0 radians to 1 radians...
Ok I am a little confused about how to set up the integral...cos is adjacent over hypotenuse, so adjacent I use as r or x...and then the hypotenuse... :S

mmmboh said:
1.Ah I see, so the charge at 0.08cm is zero. Ok so then at 0.2 cm you would use the radius as 0.3 cm right?

Not quite so fast. At .2 cm then you want to determine the net charge inside the sphere of radius .2cm. Figure that from the charge density times the volume of what is a spherical shell from .1 to .2 cm. Likewise then for calculating the field at .3 cm.

mmmboh said:
And for 2. E=[tex]\int[/tex]KdQ/r^2
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/l=10nC/6cm=166.7nC/m
r=0.03m
dQ=[tex]\lambda[/tex]
and we integrate from 0 radians to 1 radians...
Ok I am a little confused about how to set up the integral...cos is adjacent over hypotenuse, so adjacent I use as r or x...and then the hypotenuse... :S

Make a drawing of your arc with a mid line intersecting that. Call that your x axis. By symmetry you can ignore the y components then because they are equal and oppositely positioned in y such that their components will cancel. (Half are pointing up and half down when you take your integral. You should satisfy yourself on this point and don't just take my word for it.)

Then that means that along your arc you have uniform dq's that are equally spaced at distance of the radius. That determines the |E| that each dq contributes to what you want to integrate. But as discussed above the "y" components are no longer of interest. Only the x components.

Now each r makes an angle θ with the x-axis, your line of symmetry. (Your hypotenuse of course being just the distance r.) And only the contribution of the |dE|, which along the x-axis is given by r*cosθ is what you are integrating. And for convenience since you can incorporate all of the dq's in the range of the arc by integrating over θ then you can express things as

dE = λ*r*cosθ dθ

where λ is your charge density. C/2

You can integrate then over the range -1 to 1 radian or 0 to 1 and double it, your choice.

1. What is Gauss's law?

Gauss's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How does grounding work?

Grounding is the process of connecting an electrical circuit or device to the Earth or a large conducting body, such as a metal water pipe or a grounding rod. This allows excess electric charges to flow into the ground, providing a safe path and preventing potential hazards such as electric shocks.

3. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two separate but related phenomena. Electricity is the flow of electric charges, while magnetism is the force exerted by moving electric charges. They are interconnected through electromagnetism, which describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does an electric current produce a magnetic field?

An electric current produces a magnetic field because moving electric charges create a force field around them. This force field, known as a magnetic field, can be visualized as a series of invisible lines of force that surround the current-carrying conductor.

5. What is the importance of electricity and magnetism in our daily lives?

Electricity and magnetism play a crucial role in our daily lives. They power our homes, cars, and electronic devices, making our lives more convenient and efficient. They also play a significant role in modern technology, including communication, transportation, and medical equipment.