Plasma-for lack of a better title

• Thread starter ThoughtProces
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of plasma heating and high power microwave or EM radiation to sustain plasma in a contained environment. The speaker mentions a proposal for a fusion reactor that may use this method, but is unsure of the specifics. They also acknowledge their lack of expertise in physics.
ThoughtProces
So i was sitting here thinking about plasma. I started to wonder, if we create some plasma, let's assume we have it contained in some way, magnetic field, can the plasma after it is created be sustained by high power microwave radiation, or other forms of high power EM radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are referring to a method of plasma heating and I think I recall microwaves or EM Radiation being used in a proposal for a fusion reactor, but it might have been inertial confinement using electric fields rather than magnetic ones, I honestly can't remember..

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to physics too, as I don't even have a BSc yet, so I hope someone else will provide a more satisfactory answer.

That is a fascinating question! Plasma is a state of matter that is not commonly found on Earth, but it is abundant in the universe, especially in stars. It is a highly energetic and unstable state of matter, so containing it is a difficult task. However, with advanced technology and strong magnetic fields, it is possible to create and contain plasma in a controlled environment.

As for sustaining plasma with high power microwave or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, it is theoretically possible. These types of radiation can transfer energy to the particles in the plasma, keeping them in a highly excited state and preventing them from cooling down and turning back into a gas. This concept is similar to how microwaves heat up food by exciting the water molecules in it.

In fact, this technique is already being used in fusion reactors, where plasma is heated and sustained by high-energy beams of particles and microwaves. However, it requires a lot of energy and precise control to maintain the plasma at the required temperature and stability. So while it is possible, it is still a challenging and ongoing area of research.

Overall, the idea of using high power microwave radiation to sustain plasma is an intriguing one and has potential applications in various fields, such as energy production and space propulsion. It will be interesting to see how this technology develops in the future. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic!

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is often referred to as the fourth state of matter, alongside solids, liquids, and gases. It is a highly ionized gas consisting of free electrons and positively charged ions.

2. How is plasma created?

Plasma can be created by heating a gas to extremely high temperatures or by applying a strong electromagnetic field to a gas. This energy causes the electrons in the gas to break free from their atoms, resulting in a plasma.

3. What are some common applications of plasma?

Plasma has a wide range of applications, including use in fluorescent lights, plasma televisions, and neon signs. It is also used in industrial processes such as cutting, welding, and coating materials.

4. Is plasma dangerous?

Plasma can be dangerous if not handled properly. Its high temperature and electrical conductivity can pose a risk of burns or shocks. However, in controlled environments, such as in plasma TVs, it is not harmful to humans.

5. Can plasma be found naturally on Earth?

Yes, plasma can be found naturally on Earth in phenomena such as lightning, the aurora borealis, and some types of flames. It is also abundant in space, making up a large portion of the universe's matter.