Eff. Pot. Homework: Struggling with Algebra

In summary, the conversation is about solving problem 5 using the effective potential equation. The person is struggling with rearranging the equation and finding the maximum value of the effective potential. After some trial and error, they realize their mistake and are able to solve the problem correctly.
roeb

Homework Statement

I am trying to do problem 5, I seem to be having a hard time with the algebra.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4224/landau.th.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find maximum value of the effective potential we just do: dU/dr = 0.
I get (which I have verified to be correct)
[tex]r_m^{n-2} = \frac{n*\alpha }{m \rho^2 v^2}[/tex]

I rearrange that into
[tex]r_m = (\frac{n*\alpha }{m \rho^2 v^2})^{1/(n-2)}[/tex]

Plugging that into the Ueff equation for r, I get (and simplifying a bit, let x = n/(n-2) ).

[tex]\frac{m^x v^{2x} \rho^{2x}}{2 n^{2x/n} \alpha^{2x/n}} - \frac{\alpha m^x v^{2x} \rho^{2x}}{n^x \alpha^x}[/tex]

At this point I kind of get stuck, I can do the following, but it never seems to turn out 'right'.

[tex]\frac{m^x v^{2x} \rho^{2x}}{\alpha^x n^x} ( \frac{1}{2 \alpha^{2/n} n^{2/n}} - a)[/tex]

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? it must be something simple because I am getting very close to the correct answer, it's just those terms on the right don't seem to become 'nice'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops, I seem to have figured it out, apparently it's n^(-1) not n^2/n

1. What is "Eff. Pot. Homework"?

Eff. Pot. Homework stands for Effective Potential Homework. It refers to a type of homework assignment that focuses on understanding and applying the concept of effective potential in algebra.

2. Why is Algebra difficult for some students?

There are a few reasons why Algebra can be challenging for some students. It requires a strong foundation in basic math skills, such as fractions, decimals, and percentages. It also involves abstract thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be difficult for some students. Additionally, the use of letters and symbols instead of numbers can be confusing for some learners.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Algebra?

One way to improve your understanding of Algebra is to practice regularly. This will help you become more comfortable with the concepts and techniques. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific topic. Additionally, using visual aids and real-life examples can make the concepts easier to understand.

4. What is effective potential in Algebra?

Effective potential refers to the potential energy of an object in a specific situation. In Algebra, it is often used to represent the total potential energy of an object in motion, taking into account both its kinetic energy and potential energy. It is usually represented by the letter V or U.

5. How can I make my Eff. Pot. Homework more effective?

To make your Eff. Pot. Homework more effective, it is essential to understand the underlying concepts and principles. Make sure to read the instructions carefully and ask for clarification if needed. It can also be helpful to break down the problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Don't be afraid to use different strategies, such as drawing diagrams or using real-life examples, to help you solve the problems.