Measuring gravitational acceleration in a vacuum

In summary, Steven is looking for feedback on his experiment to measure gravitational acceleration. The experiment involves using a thick plastic tube with no air, a release mechanism, and motion detectors to measure the time an object takes to fall one meter. Suggestions are given to improve the experiment, such as using a stopwatch-based photogate timer and researching other methods for measuring "g."
Skorbee
I have to measure gravitational acceleration, and calculate my rate of error.
The experiment i came up with is: a thick plastic tube, with no air inside,
on the top side some sort of release mechanism, then have two motion detctors, 1M apart from each other, hooked up to a stopwatch to measure the time taken for an object to fall that one meter.
what do you guys think of this experiment?
anything that i need to improve on this experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
This experiment will work however removing the air from the column is probably not necessary unless you are dropping a feather. There are lots of ways to measure "g" ,the trick is accurately measuring the time for the object to drop. Google "measuring acceleration due to gravity" will give you lots of ideas including using pendulums and super balls.

Thanks,
Have you got any good directions as to motion detectors?
should I just pull apart one of those motion detectors for garage lights?
Regards, Steven

You might try this. You can probably get this article at a collage library or interlibrary loan. RTW

A stopwatch-based photogate timer
The Physics Teacher -- October 2000 -- Volume 38, Issue 7, pp. 405-407
Issue Date: October 2000
This paper describes the construction of an inexpensive photogate timer that uses a flashlight-infrared phototransistor photogate and a simple electronic circuit that triggers an electronic stopwatch. This photogate timer uses readily available parts and is relatively easy to construct.

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration that a body experiences when it falls towards a larger body due to the force of gravity.

2. Why is it important to measure gravitational acceleration in a vacuum?

Measuring gravitational acceleration in a vacuum eliminates the effects of air resistance, which can impact the accuracy of the measurement. This allows for a more precise and reliable measurement of gravitational acceleration.

3. How is gravitational acceleration measured in a vacuum?

Gravitational acceleration can be measured in a vacuum using a simple pendulum, a mass on a spring, or by dropping objects from a certain height and measuring the time it takes to fall.

4. What is the value of gravitational acceleration in a vacuum?

On Earth, the gravitational acceleration in a vacuum is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. However, this value may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude.

5. What are some real-world applications of measuring gravitational acceleration in a vacuum?

Measuring gravitational acceleration in a vacuum is important in understanding the laws of gravity and its effects on objects. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. Additionally, it is used in the design and testing of equipment and vehicles that operate in space.