Can Circuit Component Order Affect Electrical Outcomes?

• Thread starter ninjadrummer8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the arrangement of components in a circuit and how it affects the circuit's behavior. The first question asks if a series of alternating resistors and capacitors can be viewed as two pairs of identical components next to each other. The answer is yes, as long as the circuit is analyzed from the outside and there are no additional connections between the components. The second question asks if adding a wire to the circuit would change its behavior. The answer is no, as long as the wire does not create a short circuit. The conversation also touches on the impact of nonlinear components in series circuits and how their position may affect the circuit's behavior.
ninjadrummer8
Hey guys, I'm just trying to fully understand all these Circuit diagrams and stuff. If you can help me with these two questions I'd appreciate it, I thought about them while reading through my book. Sorry about the quality of pictures, I drew them in paint.

Question 1:
If I have a resistor, capacitor, resistor, capacitor in series like this picture below, even though they alternate, could I still look at them as if the 2 resistors were next to each other and the 2 capacitors were next to each other?
q1.jpg

Question 2:
If I added an extra wire to the first circuit, would it still yield the same results? I'm assuming it would but I just want to make sure.
q2.jpg

Thank's for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me pull a 'clippit' and say "It looks like you are trying to do two-port models."

Q1: Technically the two devices are not the same, but if what you are trying to do is build a 2-port device that "acts" the same way as your R-C-R-C combination, then it seems that you are on the right track.

That is, the R-C-R-C combination with the two wires hanging off the sides acts the same way as your equivalent 2R-C/2 system when all you do is look at the circuit from the outside.

In general: You can move linear circuit elements on the same branch around when analyzing the circuit, since the current through them would be the same, so long as you don't care about the node voltages between the elements, and there are no connections that come in between the elements.

Q2: Here we have a problem. The circuit on the left acts like a resistor with series resistance 2R. The circuit on the right acts like a short circuit. To see why this is the case, try replacing that added wire with a resistor, say [tex]\tilde{R}[/tex], and let [tex]\tilde{R} \rightarrow 0[/tex].

-------------
Actually Q1 brings up an interesting dilemma. If you get two nonlinear devices, like diodes, and hook them up in series, would the circuit operate the same way (2-port wise) as if you interchange them, keeping the polarity constant? It seems that from a first analysis using a simple model it would, but putting in all the nuances in the IV curve, something fishy might happen.

That is, suppose two diodes are connected cathode-to-cathode like this -->|--|<--

How would the most honest physical 2-port model change when you reverse them to be like this --|<-->|--?

Q1: yes, because all the components see the same instantaneous current.

Q2; no, you've shorted it out! It wasn't a short before you added that wire.

zprog: Consider that any non-linear series components will still always see the same instantaneous current, so their position in the series circuit is moot.

I didnt even think about it being shorted out, but you're right. Thanks for your help both of you!

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electricity can flow. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires or conductors, and a load, such as a light bulb or motor.

2. What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches, so the current is divided between them.

3. How does a switch work in a circuit?

A switch is a device that can open or close a circuit, controlling the flow of electricity. When the switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows current to flow. When the switch is open, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity.

4. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is a component that resists the flow of electricity, which can be useful in controlling the amount of current or voltage in a circuit. It is often used to limit the amount of current flowing through a component or to create a voltage drop.

5. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. You can calculate this by adding the resistance values of each component in the circuit. For example, if there are three resistors in a series circuit with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 10 + 20 + 30 = 60 ohms.