Second order differential equations and analog computers

In summary, the author is experimenting with analog computers to learn more about second order differential equations. He is looking for suggestions for differential equations that would be easy to implement as analog circuits. He found an interesting application for a state-variable filter and suggests using it as a crude analog percussion synthesizer.
bitrex
Hey everyone, I've been doing some experiments with analog computers to further my knowledge of op-amps (and second order differential equations!) This is more of a mathematical question than an electrical engineering question, so I thought I'd ask it in this section. I'm looking for some suggestions for differential equations that describe physical systems that would be fairly easy to implement as analog circuits - I've done the spring-mass-damper system and it's nice to see the output on the scope oscillate around in response to a step input in a very underdamped system. Any suggestions for other differential equations (of second-order or other) that might be interesting to implement? Ideally they would not involve nonlinear terms and there wouldn't be too many total terms as it's difficult to wire up too many op-amps! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the interesting results I figured out from playing with these circuits is that "Hey, this analog computer circuit looks a lot like a state-variable filter. Wait, it IS a state variable filter!" Each of the outputs that correspond to the acceleration, velocity, and position correspond to high pass, band pass, and low pass respectively. I could also use this circuit as a crude analog percussion synthesizer - instead of a resistor in the feedback loop that corresponds to the 1/m term I could use something like the LM13700 operational transconductance amp as a variable resistor. By changing the 1/m term I would change the frequency of the undamped oscillation. Thanks for the PDF file link, I'm going to hang on to that one for reference.

1. What are second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are mathematical equations that involve a second derivative of a variable with respect to another variable. They are commonly used to model physical systems and their behavior over time.

2. How are second order differential equations solved?

There are several methods for solving second order differential equations, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the use of Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and its initial conditions.

3. What is the role of analog computers in solving second order differential equations?

Analog computers were commonly used in the past to solve complex mathematical equations, including second order differential equations. They used physical components such as resistors, capacitors, and amplifiers to represent mathematical variables and operations, providing a faster and more accurate solution compared to manual calculations.

4. Are analog computers still used for solving second order differential equations?

Analog computers are no longer commonly used for solving second order differential equations, as digital computers have become more powerful and efficient. However, some researchers and hobbyists still use analog computers for specific applications or for educational purposes.

5. What are the advantages of using analog computers for solving second order differential equations?

Analog computers were able to provide real-time solutions to complex equations, making them useful for simulating and controlling physical systems. They were also more accurate than manual calculations and could handle a large number of variables simultaneously. However, with the advancements in digital technology, these advantages are now surpassed by digital computers.