Solving for Velocity in a Momentum and Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving momentum and kinetic energy. The problem involves rearranging equations and substituting values to solve for the velocity of two objects colliding. The conversation includes some confusion about a typo in the equations and a discussion about using the first equation to solve for the velocity of one object and then using it to solve for the velocity of the other object.
flyingpig
Breaking rules of Algebra?

Homework Statement

I am copying this problem from my textbook. It is about momentum and Kinetic energy

By rearranging the top equation, we have PART A
v₁'=v₁‐kv₂'

v₁'²+kv₂'²=v₁²

Now we can substitute the top equation into the bottom: PART B

(v₁‐kv₂')²+kv₂'²=v₁'²
v₁²‐2kv₁v₂'+k²v₂'²+kv₂'²=v₁'²

After the cancellations, we are left with PART C

‐2v₁+kv₂'+v₂'=0

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem lies in part B. According to Part A, v₁'=v₁‐kv₂'
But in part B, (v₁‐kv₂')²+kv₂'²=v₁'², see the problem? v₁‐kv₂' has been plugged into v₁'² and it reappeared again on the right hand side.

Right I need help. KEEP IN MIND THAT "K" IS THE RATIO OF M2/M1
ALSO[/SIZE] PLEASE SHOW ME HOW TO GET TO PART C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What do you mean it reappeared again on the right hand side? It looks fine. I'm not sure about the jump to part C though...

Pengwuino said:
What do you mean it reappeared again on the right hand side? It looks fine. I'm not sure about the jump to part C though...

Shouldn't it have been this?

(v₁‐kv₂')²+kv₂'²=v₁²

Yes, you're right, I need glasses. It has to be unprimed on the right side. Sounds like a typo (prime's are easy to mess up :rofl:). The jump to part C makes sense now.

Pengwuino said:
Yes, you're right, I need glasses. It has to be unprimed on the right side. Sounds like a typo (prime's are easy to mess up :rofl:). The jump to part C makes sense now.

What should I do? What the general solution?

I am suppose to get a result of this

v₁'=(m₁‐m₂)v₁/(m₁+m₂)
v₂'=2m₁v₁/(m₁+m₂)

Where are these masses coming from? You have part C, it should be immediate what v2' is and from the first equation, you can determine v1'.

Pengwuino said:
Where are these masses coming from? You have part C, it should be immediate what v2' is and from the first equation, you can determine v1'.

It's a momentum question. Basically it states an object with velocity collides a stationary object that is heavier than the object clashing in. The result is both objects repelling and heading the opposite direction of each other. I am suppose to find the velocity using the conversation of energy - KE.

I mean what is the equation for the masses? I assume it's k = something about masses.

Pengwuino said:
I mean what is the equation for the masses? I assume it's k = something about masses.

Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about? K (in post 1) is the ratio of M2/M1

So k=m2/m1. Part C shows you exactly what v2' is so you should be able to solve for it immediately with no tricks or substitutions other then k=m2/m1. To solve for v1', use the very first equation you have after you solve v2'.

Pengwuino said:
So k=m2/m1. Part C shows you exactly what v2' is so you should be able to solve for it immediately with no tricks or substitutions other then k=m2/m1. To solve for v1', use the very first equation you have after you solve v2'.

Can you show me the algebra...? Because I am still stuck on Part B.

You were correct in noticing it was a typo in the third and subsequently 4th line. The [tex]v_1 '^{^2 } [/tex] should have been a [tex]v_1 ^2 [/tex] on the right side. The line after it is also incorrect. You have the right idea to plug in v1' from the first equation. Now expand the left side and its a simple cancellation. Subtract [tex]v_1 ^2 [/tex] from both sides and you get part C and you can solve for v2' immediately.

1. What are the basic rules of Algebra?

The basic rules of Algebra include the commutative property, associative property, distributive property, and the identity and inverse properties. These rules govern how we operate with numbers and variables in equations.

2. Can I break the rules of Algebra?

Yes, it is possible to break the rules of Algebra, but doing so would result in an incorrect solution. Algebraic rules exist for a reason, to ensure that our equations are solved accurately and consistently.

3. Why is it important to follow the rules of Algebra?

Following the rules of Algebra is important because it allows us to solve equations correctly and efficiently. These rules also help us to understand the relationships between numbers and variables in equations, which is crucial in higher-level math and science.

4. What happens if I break the rules of Algebra?

Breaking the rules of Algebra can result in incorrect solutions, leading to a misunderstanding of the problem or concept being solved. It can also make it difficult to solve more complex equations in the future.

5. Are there exceptions to the rules of Algebra?

While the basic rules of Algebra apply to most equations, there are some exceptions. For example, the order of operations (PEMDAS) is a rule that must be followed to solve equations correctly, but there are exceptions when dealing with exponents and logarithms. It is important to always consider the specific rules and properties that apply to the type of equation being solved.