How to describe this Picture in words.

• Thread starter M.Qayyum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation was about a picture and a parabola, where the picture was a graph of the domain of a function and the parabola had an equation of x=ay2+by+c with a horizontal axis of symmetry. The function was defined everywhere except where the denominator was equal to 0, and the parabola had a vertex at (b/2a)=0 and a shifted left or right. The equation for the parabola would be x=ay2.
M.Qayyum

Homework Statement

I have this solution as domain of f,wheref(x,y)=1/(x+y2)
attachment.php?attachmentid=20213&stc=1&d=1251025379.png

Please describe this picture in words for me...PLZ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure it out..

Attachments

• sol.PNG
    sol.PNG
    858 bytes · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
Your parabola has equation x=ay2+by+c

I can describe it as parabola with horizontal axis of symmetry and vertex (b/2a)=0, so b=0

Also, c=0 because the graph isn't shifted left or right.

and your equation would look like x=ay2

Regards.

M.Qayyum said:

Homework Statement

I have this solution as domain of f,wheref(x,y)=1/(x+y2)
attachment.php?attachmentid=20213&stc=1&d=1251025379.png

Please describe this picture in words for me...PLZ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure it out..

It's a graph of the domain of f(x,y)=1/(x+y^2). The function is defined everywhere except where the denominator vanishes, x+y^2=0. The dashed line marks that curve of points that are NOT in the domain.

You guys are such mathematicians. Describe the picture in words.

Dick said:
It's a graph of the domain of f(x,y)=1/(x+y^2). The function is defined everywhere except where the denominator vanishes, x+y^2=0. The dashed line marks that curve of points that are NOT in the domain.

Thanks for your help...

Дьявол said:
Your parabola has equation x=ay2+by+c

I can describe it as parabola with horizontal axis of symmetry and vertex (b/2a)=0, so b=0

Also, c=0 because the graph isn't shifted left or right.

and your equation would look like x=ay2

Regards.

Also Thanks to you...
Regards

1. What are some tips for describing a picture in words?

When describing a picture, it is helpful to use specific and descriptive language. Start by identifying the main subject of the picture and then provide details about the colors, shapes, and textures. You can also use adjectives and adverbs to add depth to your description. It is also important to consider the mood or feeling the picture evokes and include that in your description.

2. How do I organize my thoughts when describing a picture?

One way to organize your thoughts when describing a picture is to break it down into smaller sections. Start by describing the background and setting, then move on to the main subject and any important details. You can also use the rule of thirds, which divides the picture into three sections and helps you focus on different parts of the image.

3. What should I do if I am having trouble finding the right words?

If you are having trouble finding the right words to describe a picture, take a moment to really look at the image and think about what stands out to you. You can also try using a thesaurus to find synonyms for words you are struggling with. It may also be helpful to take a break and come back to the description with fresh eyes.

4. Should I include my personal opinions when describing a picture?

When describing a picture, it is best to focus on objective details rather than personal opinions. However, if the picture evokes a strong emotional response in you, it is okay to mention that as long as it is relevant to the overall description. Just be sure to back up your opinions with specific details from the picture.

5. Is there a specific format or structure I should follow when describing a picture?

There is no specific format or structure that you must follow when describing a picture. However, it is important to be organized and provide a clear description that allows the reader to visualize the picture. You can use paragraphs, bullet points, or any other structure that helps you effectively convey your description.