Please find Fourier Series problem?

In summary, The conversation is discussing a Fourier Series problem, specifically shifting the function from (-L,L) to an arbitrary interval (a,b). The speaker is unsure how to do this and asks for guidance. Another speaker suggests considering the standard Fourier series and using the hint that the area divided by the interval is equal to the average. They also suggest writing out the Fourier sum explicitly and applying the shift.
chemical.ojas
Plz find urgent ::Fourier Series problem?

Plz find urgent ::Fourier Series problem?
given function on (-L,L)
If f(x) is even(cosine series) ,odd(sine series) ,either(Fourier series)
what f is given on arbitrary interval(a,b) ?

Physics news on Phys.org

hey chemical.ojas, don't really follow your question, also you shoukld try and attempt a solution and show your working

hey lanedance
f(x) is given function its present on (-L,L)
If f(x) is shifted to arbitrary interval (a,b) then what will be the Fourier series.?
then i want cosine and sine series also.

i tried by considering standard Fourier series...but I have no Idea about how to shift the interval?
i have one hint
a intigral b f(x)=area/b-a = average
but i have no idea how to use this hint.I tried a lot on this.

so what does it mean to shift f(x) from (-L,L) to (a,b)

does b-a = 2L or is the function stretched/compressed to fit in (a,b)?

either way, to start, I would write you Fourier sum explictly and apply the shift and have a think about what it tells you...

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components and analyze the behavior of the function.

Why is a Fourier Series important?

A Fourier Series is important because it has many practical applications in science and engineering. It is used to solve differential equations, analyze signals in communication systems, and to understand the behavior of waves in physics and chemistry.

How do you find the coefficients of a Fourier Series?

The coefficients of a Fourier Series can be found by using the Fourier Series formula, which involves integrating the function over one period and multiplying it by the appropriate trigonometric functions.

Can you use a Fourier Series for non-periodic functions?

No, a Fourier Series can only be used for periodic functions. If a function is not periodic, it cannot be represented as a sum of sinusoidal functions.

What is the difference between a Fourier Series and a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Series is used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions, while a Fourier Transform is used to represent a non-periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. Additionally, a Fourier Transform gives us information about the frequency components of a function, while a Fourier Series does not.