Particle beams in space rockets

In summary, the idea is to use the same idea in a typical combustion chamber to create high-energy beams. This would benefit the same manner as in particle accelerators to create high-energy beams. These high-energy beams can be used to propel a space rocket.
ARYT
I'm currently working on a new paper on how to increase the efficiency of space rockets (both in performance speed and power).
Getting the idea from a simple CRT (Cathode ray tube) and how the beams make an object move in the tube; I came up with this idea to use the same thing in a typical combustion chamber.

Let's imagine we have an indefinite source of electricity (that's not possible in reality for now). We benefit the same manner as in particle accelerators to create high-energy beams.

Do you think the annihilation and all that stuff result in a more efficient space rocket?

In detail (particles get annihilated + the fuel is detonated in a more efficient way + the concentration of high-energy beams makes it possible to force the explosion in a straight line, rather than a classic spherical one that wastes the energy on the rocket body + possibly a higher rate of mass to energy conversion during the combustion).

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ARYT-
It is important to control and maximize the specific thrust: the ratio of the output impulse Fdt (force times delta t) per input energy (joule). Be sure to use the total energy input. Also, there are several problems with antimatter: 1) What container do you use to store a reasonable amount of antimatter? 2) Antimatter annihilation is isotropic, and an antimatter reflector (to get specific directed impulse) is easily ablated, so how do you replace it in space? 3) How do you convert the annihilation energy to useable Fdt efficiently? 4) What is its specific impulse? If a proton and antiproton annihilate (1876 GeV), how much thrust do you get?
Bob S
Bob S

ARYT said:
Do you think the annihilation and all that stuff result in a more efficient space rocket?
I am not sure "all that stuff" is a commonly recognized term in aerospace engineering.
Are you getting your education from the intertubes?

Bob S said:
Hi ARYT-
It is important to control and maximize the specific thrust: the ratio of the output impulse Fdt (force times delta t) per input energy (joule). Be sure to use the total energy input. Also, there are several problems with antimatter: 1) What container do you use to store a reasonable amount of antimatter? 2) Antimatter annihilation is isotropic, and an antimatter reflector (to get specific directed impulse) is easily ablated, so how do you replace it in space? 3) How do you convert the annihilation energy to useable Fdt efficiently? 4) What is its specific impulse? If a proton and antiproton annihilate (1876 GeV), how much thrust do you get?
Bob S
Bob S

I suppose, I couldn't explain myself that well. By particle accelerator, I don't mean a huge one which creates antimatter and other incontrollable particles. Let’s imagine a huge CRT.
As far as I know, the direct effect of particles beam on an explosion (or combustion) has never been researched. This surely needs some calculations and theoretical studies, but firstly it needs some experiments to give us an initial idea about the exact phenomenon that is taking place.

DaveC426913 said:
I am not sure "all that stuff" is a commonly recognized term in aerospace engineering.
Are you getting your education from the intertubes?

Physicsforums is a also a part of "intertubes". I'm not giving an academic speech, by the way.
And "all that stuff" is actually a physical term, meaning the possible energy resealed from the nuclear reactions during a process of combustion while a high-energy particle beam is concentrated where the fuel detonates (i.e. combustion chamber) and so one (and so one is also a physical term meaning, whether these reactions influence the direction of the mentioned explosion or not).

ARYT said:
Fusion is more 'efficient' than fission because the reactants are smaller or less massive and the energy per nucleon in a fusion reaction is greater, and fission produces greater energy per reaction that chemical propulsion. Similar, in annihilation, the reactions produce a lot more energy than fusion. That's the easy part.

The hard part is taking the easy part and configuring it in a way to turn it into propulsion, because the energies of fission - fusion - annihilation are so great that they produce enormous pressures in large quantities, and we do not have structural materials that can confine such pressures. So we devise ways to dilute the energies from fission - fusion - annihilation and disperse that energy in a working fluid or propellant.

Electric or EM propulsion systems or concepts have been around since at least the 1940's.

Astronuc said:
Fusion is more 'efficient' than fission because the reactants are smaller or less massive and the energy per nucleon in a fusion reaction is greater, and fission produces greater energy per reaction that chemical propulsion. Similar, in annihilation, the reactions produce a lot more energy than fusion. That's the easy part.

The hard part is taking the easy part and configuring it in a way to turn it into propulsion, because the energies of fission - fusion - annihilation are so great that they produce enormous pressures in large quantities, and we do not have structural materials that can confine such pressures. So we devise ways to dilute the energies from fission - fusion - annihilation and disperse that energy in a working fluid or propellant.

Electric or EM propulsion systems or concepts have been around since at least the 1940's.

Thanks for the reply. Fusion is less likely to be controlled at this time. Actually, we really don't know the consequences of using high-energy particle beams in combustion. It could be fission, fusion or totally something different.

Now during the process of explosion, we have chemical reactions only. The way that particle beams influence the radial chain reaction is completely unknown to us. We can come up with some ideas and hypothesis, but as long as we don't do an experiment on it, even the initial thoughts cannot be accurate enough.

To me, this kind of propulsion is not EM propulsion. In the said propulsion, an EM field is responsible for the motion. Here it's a kind of EM combustion.
I'm thinking of denser fuels (like red oxygen + tetrahydrogen). It's not very logical to assume that particle beams can affect normal fuels like Hydrogen, as there’s no considerable temperature change in a particle accelerator tunnel.

P.S. This is the only paper I could find about this: Effects of Particle Beams on Explosives by Sharma, J. ; Beard, B. C.
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA256878&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Last edited:
I think, before you do this, that you need to visit a particle accelerator facility first and do a total reality check. In particular, ask about something call the "wall-plug efficiency".

If I start with my assumption of "infinite source of electricity", then I need to seriously question on why I am not using that infinite source of electricity to directly power my space vehicle, rather than running it through these various inefficient gymnastics to do, in the end, the same thing.

Zz.

What are particle beams in space rockets?

Particle beams are streams of high-energy particles, such as protons or electrons, that are accelerated to high speeds and directed towards a specific target. In the context of space rockets, particle beams are used as a form of propulsion to provide thrust and propel the rocket forward.

How do particle beams work in space rockets?

Particle beams work by using electric and magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles to high speeds. These particles are then directed through a nozzle, creating a stream of propellant that produces thrust and propels the rocket forward.

What advantages do particle beams offer in space rocket propulsion?

Particle beams offer several advantages in space rocket propulsion, including high thrust-to-weight ratio, high exhaust velocity, and the ability to control and adjust the direction and intensity of the beam. They also do not require any onboard propellant, making them a more efficient and cost-effective form of propulsion.

What are the challenges of using particle beams in space rockets?

One of the main challenges of using particle beams in space rockets is the energy requirements. Accelerating particles to high speeds requires a significant amount of energy, which can be difficult to generate and store onboard a rocket. Another challenge is the potential for beam divergence, which can reduce the effectiveness of the beam as a propellant.

How are particle beams being used in space rockets currently?

Particle beams are currently being used in space rockets in the form of electric propulsion systems, such as ion thrusters. These systems use electric fields to accelerate charged particles and produce thrust. They are often used for small, unmanned satellites and spacecraft, but there is ongoing research and development to use particle beams for larger rockets and manned missions in the future.