What is the correct exited state configuration of litium?

In summary, the first excited state of litium is either 1s^22p^1 or 1s^23p^1, depending on the ecranisation and energy levels of the s and p orbitals. The energy of the excited state can be calculated using the equation E_{n,l}=-13,6eV\frac{1}{(n-\Delta l)^2}. The NIST website provides more information about the energy levels of litium.
Petar Mali
Litium has a structure

[tex]1s^22s^1[/tex]

What is the first exited state of litium?

I have some doubt? I think that it is

[tex]1s^22p^1[/tex]

Is it correct or maybe

[tex]1s^23p^1[/tex]

Why I'm in problem. Because wave function of hydrogen atom depends of three quantum numbers
[tex]\psi_{n,l,m}[/tex] but energy depends only of one quantum number [tex]E_n[/tex]. So we have degeneration. In this logic it's need to be [tex]1s^23p^1[/tex]. But I don't have hydrogen I have litium, so must be some ecranisation and of course Hund rule [tex]s[/tex] and [tex]p[/tex] orbitals have different energy. And I can say that

[tex]E_{n,l}=-13,6eV\frac{1}{(n-\Delta l)^2}[/tex]

Thanks for your answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!

What is an exited state configuration?

An exited state configuration refers to the arrangement and properties of electrons in an atom or molecule when one or more electrons have been excited to a higher energy level.

How do electrons become excited to higher energy levels?

Electrons can become excited through various processes such as absorbing photons of light, collisions with other particles, or through chemical reactions.

What happens to an atom or molecule when its electrons are in an exited state configuration?

When electrons are in an exited state configuration, the atom or molecule is considered to be in an excited state. This state is often unstable, and the electrons will eventually release the extra energy and return to their ground state configuration.

How is exited state configuration related to spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is a technique used to study the energy levels and transitions of electrons in atoms and molecules. By analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by a substance, scientists can determine its exited state configuration and gain insights into its chemical and physical properties.

What are some real-world applications of understanding exited state configuration?

Understanding exited state configuration is crucial in fields such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, and energy production. It allows scientists to design and develop new materials with specific properties, create more efficient solar cells, and develop new drugs and treatments for various diseases.