Greece Student Pursuing IB Diploma: Tips & Advice

In summary, the Greek student plans to study abroad for her IB diploma, finds that she has a lot of difficulty getting good grades, and is unsure of what courses to take to prepare. She is considering taking a Pre-IB curriculum, but is also thinking of taking computer science courses if she has the opportunity to do so.
Nikon33
Hello PF.

I am a Greek student ,currently in the 9th grade.
I love mathematics and physics and I want to study Computer engineering.

I am planing to study abroad preferably in the US or UK.

Recently, I discovered an option to take some IB diploma courses for the 11th and 12th grades in a local private school.

Right now I am in the last year of junior high and I am not getting very good grades (at least for me).
Although, I am sure I know the material and I am studying a lot of time , my grades don't reflect that.
Problems with teachers and a bad image from last year make things even worse.

Fortunately, next year I am going to high school (yeah , in greece HS begins from 10th year) and I am certain I won't have such problems.

Now for the IB ,I know it is difficult and requires a lot of work but I am sure I 'll make it.
I 've also heard that a pre-IB class is highly recommended but my parents say it is not worth the money.

Can you give me any tips to prepare for IB??
Can you tell me ,what it takes to go to some very competitive colleges??

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I figured it out .

Does anybody know any material to prepare for the IB class?
Can you give me tips for that year ??
Where should I pay attention more ?

I was almost enrolled in an IB curriculum, I turned to AP instead.

Personally (I had like 2 months of IB training) IB as you have said, is hard. When I mean it is difficult, it is the amount of work load. The standard level and higher level courses do not differ too much except higher level demands a little bit more work and a lot more topics.

Are you doing the Diploma or just the certificates? It be more helpful if you can tell me what classes you are taking.

Thank you for your answer.

I am currently finishing the 9th grade ,so I am talking for 2 years by now.
I am going for the IB Diploma which refers to the syllabus done in 11th and 12th grades.
Since I am in a greek school which has a standrized curiculum ,I don't know if I have to take some extra cources to be ready for the IB class.
Unfortunately I don't see any local school to provide AP cources so since I want to study abroad I have to take an IB DIploma.

Nikon33 said:
Thank you for your answer.

I am currently finishing the 9th grade ,so I am talking for 2 years by now.
I am going for the IB Diploma which refers to the syllabus done in 11th and 12th grades.
Since I am in a greek school which has a standrized curiculum ,I don't know if I have to take some extra cources to be ready for the IB class.
Unfortunately I don't see any local school to provide AP cources so since I want to study abroad I have to take an IB DIploma.

In most cases, if your school has IB, it will take care of that for you. If the curriculum is unstandardized, you will probably be enrolled in a Pre-IB curriculum as soon as you are in grade 10.

For the diploma you have to a few extra things. At least of 50 hours of Athletics (usually outside of school), 50 hours of Creativity (like learning a new musical instrument) and 50 hours of Service (volunteering, a job, you get the idea). You also have to take a Theory of Knowledge course which requires you to write like a 4000-world essay on a higher level subject topics, for instance if you take IB Chemistry Hl, you have write a 4000-word essay on something like say Atomic theory and such. I don't know too much about the essay, but it is highly advised that you talk to a mentor on it.

Again, can you tell me what courses will you take? I can't help you if you don't give me more information.

I am going to be enrolled in a private school for IB preparation , not a public like the one I currently attend.

I 'll take Greek and English (probably SL) ,Maths HL and Physics HL ,Economics SL/HL for sure and I am thinking of taking Chemistry SL/HL (more likely HL) for 6th subject.

I want to study electrical and computer engineering / electical engineering and computer science ,so I thought to take computer science course but most universities prefer chemistry.

I am just thinking to do some extra work to prepare for the IB class.

1. How can I prepare for the IB Diploma program in Greece?

To prepare for the IB Diploma program in Greece, it is important to familiarize yourself with the curriculum and requirements of the program. You can also start building your time management and study skills, as well as seeking out resources such as past exam papers or revision guides.

2. What are some tips for succeeding in the IB Diploma program in Greece?

Some tips for succeeding in the IB Diploma program in Greece include staying organized and keeping up with coursework, actively participating in class discussions and seeking help from teachers when needed, and setting aside dedicated time for studying and exam preparation.

3. Is the IB Diploma program in Greece recognized internationally?

Yes, the IB Diploma program in Greece is recognized globally and is widely accepted by universities and employers around the world. It is a highly respected and rigorous program that prepares students for higher education and beyond.

4. Are there any specific resources or study materials that are helpful for the IB Diploma program in Greece?

There are many helpful resources and study materials available for the IB Diploma program in Greece, including textbooks, revision guides, online resources, and study groups. It is important to find what works best for you and use a variety of resources to supplement your learning.

5. How can I balance the demands of the IB Diploma program with other commitments and activities?

Balancing the demands of the IB Diploma program with other commitments and activities can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your time and set realistic goals. Make sure to communicate with your teachers and support system if you are feeling overwhelmed, and don't be afraid to ask for help or take breaks when needed.