A Few Questions - Thinking about going into physics

In summary: Can someone please advise on what kind of opportunities are available to physics majors in Southern California?There are plenty of opportunities for physics majors in Southern California. Physics PhDs, especially, can usually find good jobs. However, the amount of money you can make will vary depending on the field you choose and the location.
Solace
Hey! I'm a high school senior about to graduate and I'm trying to decide what to do with my future.

I really love physics. What kind of job could I get with a Phd in physics? Is the job market saturated or is it open? How much could I expect to earn?

If I majored in undergrad physics could I go to grad school for engineering? Are there more jobs available for Phd engineers? How much could I expect to earn?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
We get so many of these questions that I'm going to make a FAQ thread for this forum. In the mean time, please look at this statistics collection from the AIP that should answer almost all, if not all, of your question.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/

Please note, and this is not just for the OP, that your employment chances, how much you can make, and what is open to you depends very much on where you are. So if you intend to post questions such as this, you should also clearly state where you are located. It is of little use if someone points to you the statistics at the AIP webpage while you're somewhere in Africa, for instance.

Zz.

Solace said:
If I majored in undergrad physics could I go to grad school for engineering?

Yes.

Are there more jobs available for Phd engineers?

What kind of jobs, and more than what?

ZapperZ said:
Please note, and this is not just for the OP, that your employment chances, how much you can make, and what is open to you depends very much on where you are. So if you intend to post questions such as this, you should also clearly state where you are located. It is of little use if someone points to you the statistics at the AIP webpage while you're somewhere in Africa, for instance.

Zz.

I am in a similar situation as the OP. I am entering college as a physics major next year at the Univ. of California, Riverside (UCR). I have always aimed for a physics PhD, but now I'm starting to open up to engineering a bit too. I'd like to stay in Southern California, and I know there is an abundance of engineering opportunities but I'm not as sure about what I'll be able to find in physics outside of university jobs. (I've considered doing both physics(solid state) and EE, but I'm not sure that would be a good use of time to double major when I could use that extra time in research, so I'll stick with only physics for now).

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming graduation and for considering a career in physics! It's an exciting and challenging field that offers a wide range of opportunities.

To answer your first question, there are many different career paths you could pursue with a PhD in physics. Some common options include working in research and development, teaching at a university, or working in industry as a physicist or engineer. The job market for physicists is generally strong, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, the job market can vary depending on specific fields of physics and location.

In terms of salary, it also varies depending on the specific job and industry. According to the American Institute of Physics, the median salary for physicists in the United States is around $120,000 per year. However, salaries can range from $60,000 to over $200,000 depending on experience and position.

As for your second question, it is possible to go to graduate school for engineering after majoring in physics for your undergraduate degree. Many graduate engineering programs accept students from various undergraduate backgrounds, including physics. However, you may need to take additional courses or have relevant experience to be competitive for certain engineering programs.

In terms of job availability for PhD engineers, it also depends on the specific field and industry. Generally, there is a high demand for engineers in fields such as computer science, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. Salaries for engineers also vary greatly depending on the field and level of experience, but the median salary for engineers in the US is around $100,000 per year.

I hope this information helps in your decision-making process. Ultimately, the key to success in any career is passion and dedication, so if you have a strong interest in physics and are willing to put in the hard work, you can have a fulfilling and rewarding career in this field.

Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Sincerely,

1. What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest structures in the universe.

2. What skills are necessary to become a successful physicist?

To be a successful physicist, one needs to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also essential for collaborating with other scientists and presenting research findings.

3. What are the career opportunities for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career opportunities in various fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. They can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and telecommunications, or pursue further education and become professors, researchers, or science writers.

4. Is physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be a challenging subject to study, but it is also incredibly rewarding. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a lot of dedication and hard work. However, with the right mindset and study techniques, anyone can succeed in physics.

5. What are some famous discoveries or inventions made by physicists?

Physics has led to numerous groundbreaking discoveries and inventions that have greatly impacted our world. Some famous examples include the theory of relativity by Albert Einstein, the laws of motion by Isaac Newton, and the discovery of the Higgs boson particle at CERN. Other notable inventions include the computer, the laser, and the microwave oven.