What is a Joule Second? - Explained Easily!

• Thread starter cnidocyte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joule
In summary, a joule per second is the unit of action and angular momentum, and is equivalent to 1 N of force applied for 1 meter in 1 second. A joule second is not the same as a joule per second, as it involves multiplying by seconds instead of dividing. Planck's constant, on the other hand, represents the minimum amount of energy that can be transferred in 1 second or the minimum amount of time needed to transfer 1J of energy.
cnidocyte
I can easily picture joules per second (I just see light of varying intensities passing a point at varying rates) I don't know what a joule second is. I know that Plancks constant is just to use the frequency of the photon to find out its energy but what in the name of God is a joule second?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the unit of action -- as in the least action principle.

It is also the unit of angular momentum -- cf. the Bohr atom.

A joule in mechanical work is 1 N of force applied on an object to move it a distance of 1 m. So a joule persecond is doing the above action in one second.

Btw, a "joule per second" and a "joule second" are not the same thing. Jule per second is dividing by seconds, joule second would be multiplying by seconds.

cnidocyte said:
[...] but what in the name of God is a joule second?

If i understood correctly you can consider this example:

you can boil 1 m^3 of water by transferring to it N*dE energy in a 1 second OR
you can boil 1 m^3 of water by heating water N*dt time with 1 joule of energy

and thus we can define minimal action needed for 1 m^3 water to be boiled -
N*dE*dt

As about Plank constant we can interpret it also like this:
you can't transfer less energy than h in 1 second OR
you can't transfer 1J of energy in less than h seconds.

A Joule Second, also known as a Watt Second, is a unit of measurement used in physics to describe the amount of energy transferred in a given amount of time. It is equal to one Joule of energy being transferred in one second. This unit is commonly used to measure the power output of various devices, such as light bulbs or electric motors. In simpler terms, it is a measurement of the rate at which energy is being transferred. So, if a light bulb uses 60 Watts of power, it is equivalent to 60 Joules of energy being transferred every second. I hope this helps clarify the concept of a Joule Second for you.

1. What is a Joule Second?

A Joule Second, also known as a Joule-Second or a Joule Second (J·s), is a unit of energy used in physics. It is a combination of the units Joule (J) for energy and second (s) for time. It is defined as the amount of energy transferred or expended in one second by a current of one ampere through a resistance of one ohm.

2. How is a Joule Second measured?

A Joule Second is measured by multiplying the energy in Joules (J) by the time in seconds (s). For example, if an object has an energy of 10 Joules and it takes 2 seconds to use that energy, the Joule Second would be 20 J·s.

3. What is the significance of a Joule Second in physics?

In physics, a Joule Second is used to measure the work done or energy transferred by a force acting on an object over a period of time. It is also used to measure the power of a system, which is the rate at which energy is transferred.

4. How is a Joule Second different from a Watt?

A Joule Second is a unit of energy and time, while a Watt is a unit of power. A Watt is equal to one Joule Second, but it measures the rate at which energy is transferred, rather than the total amount of energy transferred. In other words, a Watt is a measure of how fast energy is being used, while a Joule Second is a measure of how much energy is being used.

5. Where is the Joule Second commonly used?

The Joule Second is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and electrical science. It is often used to measure the energy efficiency of devices and systems, as well as the power output of engines and motors. It is also used in calculations involving electricity, such as determining the energy consumption of a household appliance.