A small question about action-reaction pair

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of action-reaction pairs in a hypothetical scenario of a bat hitting a ball in outer space. The question is raised about whether the gravitational force between the two objects should be taken into account when considering the impact force of the collision. The expert responds that the gravitational force is usually ignored due to its small magnitude, and in this case, the impact force and gravitational force should be added together. The expert also explains that there are two separate action-reaction pairs happening simultaneously during the collision.
issacnewton
Hi

I have a small question in my mind about laws of forces. consider that we are hitting
a ball with a bat. now again let's say we are in outer space.. so there is no Earth around...
before bat hits the ball, bat exerts its gravitational force on the ball and as a reaction
to this, ball exerts a gravitational force on the bat... now as bat hits the ball, bat exerts
a force on the ball and as a reaction to this , ball also exerts equal force on the bat...
and here I am little confused.. since gravitational forces between bat and the ball are still there, do we have to add the force of gravity to the force of impact while considering action-reaction pair at the time of impact ? how would you think about this

thanks
Newton

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational force between bat & ball is very small, and is usually ignored. You can take it into account, but it will only change the "10th" decimal of the force that usually appears at a human powered ball bat collision.

hi lok
my question was hypothetical. i know that the gravitational force will be very small. i am just trying to see if my argument is correct. to answer the action-reaction pair question, we will need to add the impact force + the gravitational force...is it right ?

Newton

IssacNewton said:
hi lok
my question was hypothetical. i know that the gravitational force will be very small. i am just trying to see if my argument is correct. to answer the action-reaction pair question, we will need to add the impact force + the gravitational force...is it right ?

Newton

The two bodies bat & ball will behave from an gravitational POV like a freefall of one towards the other so any energy gained by them from bringing them closer will be lost by separating them. So basically only the collision will act upon the final velocity of the two. The Force is the addition of the 2 ( elastic collision & gravity).

so it means the action is gravitational force exerted by the ball on the bat + the impact force exerted by the ball on the bat and the reaction is the gravitational force exerted by the bat on the ball + the impact force exerted by the bat on the ball ...right ?
i want to understand this preferably without bringing in energy since usually in physics textbooks Newton's third law and concept of forces is taught before introducing anything about "energy"

thanks

IssacNewton said:
so it means the action is gravitational force exerted by the ball on the bat + the impact force exerted by the ball on the bat and the reaction is the gravitational force exerted by the bat on the ball + the impact force exerted by the bat on the ball ...right ?
i want to understand this preferably without bringing in energy since usually in physics textbooks Newton's third law and concept of forces is taught before introducing anything about "energy"

thanks

Yes. Remember that there are 2 separate action reactions, gravity and collision. Each event happens simultaneous for both objects involved.

so only talking about the impact between ball and the bat (forget gravity for a second), if we want to consider the magnitude of the impact forces, then we will need to consider the change in momentum when they collide...right ?

this hypothetical case is so interesting. when the ball and bat are still away from each other, the action-reaction pair involves only gravity but when they collide, there are two action-reaction pairs at the same time...

1. What is an action-reaction pair?

An action-reaction pair is a pair of equal and opposite forces that act on two different objects. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

2. How do action-reaction pairs affect motion?

Action-reaction pairs do not affect the overall motion of an object. This is because the action and reaction forces act on two different objects and therefore cancel each other out. However, they do play a role in the movement of objects by allowing them to exert forces on each other.

3. Can action-reaction pairs exist without contact?

Yes, action-reaction pairs can exist without direct contact between objects. For example, a rocket engine pushes hot gas out of the back of the rocket, causing the rocket to move in the opposite direction. The action force is the gas pushing out of the rocket, while the reaction force is the rocket moving forward.

4. Do action-reaction pairs always have the same magnitude?

Yes, action-reaction pairs always have the same magnitude. This is because they are equal and opposite forces, so the magnitude of the action force will always be equal to the magnitude of the reaction force.

5. How can action-reaction pairs be applied in real-life situations?

Action-reaction pairs can be applied in many real-life situations. For example, when walking, we push against the ground with our feet, and the ground pushes back on us with an equal and opposite force, allowing us to move forward. In sports, action-reaction pairs are present in many movements, such as throwing a ball or swinging a bat. In engineering, action-reaction pairs are used in the design of machines and structures to ensure balance and stability.