Unit circle and tangent line

In summary, to find the points where the two tangent lines intersect with the unit circle, you must take into account the equation of the circle and set the slope of the segment between the tangent points and (5, 2) equal to the slope of the tangent on the circle. This will result in an equation that you can solve for the values of u, which will then give you the coordinates of the two tangent points.
EV33

Homework Statement

We are given the unit circle and the point (5,2). There are two lines that are tangent to the unit circle and they both intersect at the point (5,2). What are the points where these lines are tangent with the unit circle.

Homework Equations

Tangent line of a circle at the point x,y will have a slope of -x/y
y=ax+b is a linear line

The Attempt at a Solution

y=ax+b

Let's call the tangent point (u,v)
Thus a=-(u/v)

y=-(u/v)x+b
2=-(u/v)5+b
b=2+(u/v)5
y=-(u/v)x+2+5(u/v)
=(u/v)(5-x)+2

Then from here I am stuck because when I go to solve for u/v by plugging in the point I lose my u/v. I feel like I am close. Could I get a hint please.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
EV33 said:

Homework Statement

We are given the unit circle and the point (5,2). There are two lines that are tangent to the unit circle and they both intersect at the point (5,2). What are the points where these lines are tangent with the unit circle.

Homework Equations

Tangent line of a circle at the point x,y will have a slope of -x/y
y=ax+b is a linear line

The Attempt at a Solution

y=ax+b

Let's call the tangent point (u,v)
Thus a=-(u/v)

y=-(u/v)x+b
2=-(u/v)5+b
b=2+(u/v)5
y=-(u/v)x+2+5(u/v)
=(u/v)(5-x)+2

Then from here I am stuck because when I go to solve for u/v by plugging in the point I lose my u/v. I feel like I am close. Could I get a hint please.

Thank You.

As stated in the problem, there are two tangent points on the circle, and you have identified them as (u, v).

What you didn't take into account was the equation of the circle, which is u2 + v2 = 1, still using your variables. By solving for, say, v in terms of u, you can eliminate one of your variables.

Any point (u, v) on the circle can be written as (u, +/-sqrt(1 - u2)).

Let's call the tangent point in the 2nd quadrant (-u, +sqrt(1 - u2), where u > 0. The other tangent point in the 3rd quadrant is (u, -sqrt(1 - u2)), where again u > 0.

Take each of the tangent points and calculate the slope of the segment between that point and (5, 2), and set this slope equal to the slope of the tangent on the circle. That should give you an equation in u that you can solve.

1) What is the unit circle and why is it important?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit centered at the origin on a Cartesian coordinate plane. It is important because it is used to define and understand trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, which are used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications.

2) How do you find the coordinates of a point on the unit circle?

The coordinates of a point on the unit circle can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. If the point is located at an angle θ from the positive x-axis, then the x-coordinate is given by cos(θ) and the y-coordinate is given by sin(θ).

3) What is the equation for the tangent line to the unit circle at a given point?

The equation for the tangent line to the unit circle at a given point (x,y) is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. The slope can be found by taking the derivative of the unit circle's equation, which is x^2 + y^2 = 1, and plugging in the x and y values of the given point.

4) How do you use the unit circle to find values of trigonometric functions?

The unit circle can be used to find values of trigonometric functions by using the coordinates of a point on the circle. For example, the sine of an angle θ is equal to the y-coordinate of the point on the unit circle at that angle. Similarly, the cosine is equal to the x-coordinate and the tangent is equal to the y-coordinate divided by the x-coordinate.

5) How does the unit circle relate to radians and degrees?

The unit circle is often used to define the radian measure of an angle. One radian is equal to the central angle formed by an arc on the unit circle that has a length equal to the radius of the circle. This relationship between radians and the unit circle allows for easy conversion between radians and degrees using the formula π radians = 180 degrees.