Rotational Energy - Two Bodies & Massive Pulley

In summary: Thank you so much for pointing it out.In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics assignment and providing the question and their attempted solution. The problem involves a system with a pulley, blocks on an incline, and friction. The student uses various equations and values to attempt to find the speed of the blocks after they have moved a certain distance. However, they made a mistake in their solution and are seeking help to find the error.
salleyye
Hi,
I have a physics assignment due, and I've been struggling with a particular question. I would really appreciate if anyone could please help.

Homework Statement

Consider the system below. The mp = 20.0 kg 'pulley' is a solid uniform sphere of radius of 0.250 m with the frictionless axle passing through its diameter. The mass of the block on the incline is m1 = 16.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the two blocks and the surfaces is μK = 0.220. (Assume the pulley’s axle is frictionless, and that the rope slides over the pulley without slipping.)

Use energy methods to find the speed of the blocks after they have moved 2.20 m from rest.

143gcpv.jpg

In my solution, I use x to refer to the displacement of each block (2.20 m), y0 to be the initial height of block 1, and y1 to be the final height of block 1.

Homework Equations

Wnc = ΔEf - ΔE0
EK = (1/2)mv2
EK = (1/2)Iω2
Iuniform sphere = (2/5)MR2
EP = mgh
Wfriction = -μKNd = -μKmgd

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting together all the above equations, I came up with the following:
Wnc = ΔEf - ΔE0
Km1gx(sinθ) - μKm2gx = m1gy1 + (1/2)m1v2 + (1/2)m2v2 + (1/2)Iω2 - m1gy0
Kgx(m2 + m1sinθ) = m1g(y1 - y0) + (1/2)v2(m1 + m2) + (1/2)(2/5)(mpR22

From the given information, y1 - y0 = -x(sinθ). Also, because the rope does not slip, then R2ω2 = v2. Based on this information, the equation becomes:

Kgx(m2 + m1sinθ) = -m1gx(sinθ) + (1/2)v2(m1 + m2) + (1/5)mpv2

Substituting in the values, we get:

(-0.220)(9.81 m/s2)(2.20 m)[4.0 kg+(16.0 kg)(0.8)] = -(16.0 kg)(9.81 m/s2)(2.20 m)(0.8) + (1/2)v2(20 kg) + (1/5)(20.0 kg)v2
-79.767072 (m2/s2)kg = -276.2496 (m2/s2)kg + (14.0 kg)v2
v = 3.75 m/s

Unfortunately, my solution is incorrect... yet I have no idea where I went wrong. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi salleyye! welcome to pf! :smile:
salleyye said:
Kgx(m2 + m1sinθ) = …

isn't it cosθ for N? :redface:

Oh... man. Thanks. I don't know why I made such a basic mistake.

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotational motion. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on an object's angular velocity and moment of inertia.

2. How is rotational energy different from linear energy?

Rotational energy involves the movement of an object around an axis, while linear energy involves the movement of an object in a straight line. Rotational energy depends on the shape and distribution of mass of an object, while linear energy depends on an object's mass and velocity.

3. How is rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational energy is: E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The units for rotational energy are joules (J).

4. What is the role of a massive pulley in rotational energy?

A massive pulley is a rotating object with a large moment of inertia. It stores a significant amount of rotational energy, which can then be transferred to other objects through a system of pulleys and ropes. The pulley acts as a mechanical advantage, allowing for the amplification of force.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational energy?

Rotational energy has many practical applications, such as in the operation of engines and turbines, the movement of vehicles and machinery, and in the generation of electricity through wind turbines. It is also involved in sports such as figure skating, gymnastics, and discus throwing.