Power Source for Water Heater Element?

In summary, the conversation discusses using 8 AA batteries in series to produce 12v in order to power the heating element of a water heater. However, it is pointed out that most water heaters require 110V or 220V power, so the batteries would not be enough to power it. The conversation ends with a link to a website for a water heater that runs on 12 volts.
rollingideas
hi guys I am looking to find a source of radiant heat about 2 inches wide and 6-8 inches long and i got to thinking if i hook up 8 AA batteries in series it should produce 12v needed to power the element of a water heater, my question is will this power source work to run the element? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of water heater runs on 12 volts?

Averagesupernova said:
Real little I guess.

Averagesupernova said:
lol no, i don't want to power the heater, just the element. i want to know if the batteries would power the element alone.

rollingideas said:
lol no, i don't want to power the heater, just the element. i want to know if the batteries would power the element alone.

The largest power requirement in a water heater is by far the heating element, and it will use straight 110V power (or 220V outside US).

So no a 12v source will not power it, and especially not for any appreciable length of time with only 8 AA batteries.

thanks, back to the drawing board lol

1. What type of power source is needed for a water heater element?

The most common power source for a water heater element is electricity. However, some water heaters may also use gas or solar power.

2. Can I use a different power source for my water heater element?

It is always best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the power source for your water heater element. Using a different power source could potentially damage the element and void the warranty.

3. How much power does a water heater element typically require?

The power requirement for a water heater element can vary depending on the size and type of the heater. However, most residential water heaters require between 4500-5500 watts of power.

4. How do I know if my water heater element is receiving power?

If your water heater is not producing hot water, it could be an indication that the element is not receiving power. You can use a multimeter to test the voltage at the element's terminals to determine if it is receiving power.

5. Can I change the power source of my water heater element after installation?

Changing the power source of a water heater element after installation is not recommended. It is a complex process that could potentially damage the heater and should only be done by a qualified professional.