A fairly easy vector calculus identity question?

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the term \vec{v}\cdot (\vec{v}\cdot\nabla )\vec{v} in the context of fluid velocity. The operator between the brackets is a differential operator and the end result is a scalar. One person suggests using Einstein's tensor notation, while another suggests rewriting it as \frac{1}{2}(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla )v^2. The simplicity of this rewrite is debated.
quarky2001
I'm working on simplifying a big physical expression (I don't like the Navier-Stokes equations at all anymore), and I'm curious how to simplify the following term:

[tex]

\vec{v}\cdot (\vec{v}\cdot\nabla )\vec{v}

[/tex]

where v is a fluid velocity - i.e. definitely spatially varying.

I'm just not sure about the order of operations here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The operator between the brackets is a differential operator which acts to the right

[tex] \vec{v}\cdot\nabla = v_i \partial _i [/tex]

So your whole expression is nothing but

[tex] v_j v_i\partial_i v_j [/tex]

a scalar.

Sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by that subscript notation.

I know v dotted with nabla is an operator on the v on the far right, and I know the result will be a scalar. I just don't know how I could re-write that expression in a simpler fashion.

Well, it's the handy tensor notation using Einstein's summing notation. Nothing more.

You can't write that in a simpler fashion, unless v is subject to some conditions (divergence-less for example).

Actually, I finally did manage to rewrite it. (although I'm not familiar with Einstein's tensor notation)

Assuming my math is correct, the following equality should hold:

[tex]

\vec{v}\cdot (\vec{v}\cdot\nabla )\vec{v} = \frac{1}{2}(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla )v^2

[/tex]

Sure, you're right. But is that really simpler ? I can say it's shorter, it takes less space on a piece of paper.

1. What is a vector calculus identity?

A vector calculus identity is a mathematical equation that relates different vector operations, such as dot product, cross product, and gradient, to each other. These identities are important in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve vector quantities.

2. What is the purpose of using vector calculus identities?

The main purpose of using vector calculus identities is to simplify and manipulate vector equations. By using these identities, complex vector equations can be reduced to simpler forms that are easier to solve or understand. They also help in proving mathematical theorems and solving physical problems.

3. Can you give an example of a vector calculus identity?

One example of a vector calculus identity is the triple product identity: A · (B x C) = B · (C x A) = C · (A x B). This identity relates the dot product and cross product of three vectors in a cyclical order. It is often used in problems involving torque and angular momentum.

4. How do I know which vector calculus identity to use in a problem?

Knowing which vector calculus identity to use in a problem comes with practice and understanding of the properties of vector operations. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and identify the vector quantities involved before choosing the appropriate identity. Consulting a textbook or asking for guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using vector calculus identities?

One common mistake to avoid when using vector calculus identities is using them without understanding their underlying concepts. This can lead to incorrect solutions and misunderstandings. It is important to also double-check calculations and pay attention to vector directions and the order of operations when using these identities.