Writing MATLAB scripts online?

In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's plan to utilize their work hours to complete MATLAB homework and prepare for a midterm. However, they are unable to download MATLAB on their work computer and are looking for an online word processor that supports the language. A potential solution was suggested, using a portable version of Notepad++ or downloading it through a university's VPN.
btbam91
Hello, I am currently at work and I'm going to spend about 5 hours a day in front of the computer. This would be an excellent time to get some of my MATLAB homework done and prepare for my midterm. The thing is, this computer does not have MATLAB and I am not able to download anything (Wordpad plus). Is there any online word processor that supports the MATLAB language?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I sometimes use a portable version of Notepad++, but that might not work if the executables you can run are limited. There's an option to install without using the registry in the installer that enables you to put it on a flash drive.

As far as an online option, I vaguely recall something similar existing, but not any specifics.

Hmm, maybe I'll try to install Notepad ++ on my flashdrive tonight.

Thanks!

If your university supports VPN you might be able to download it from the university network and run it as if you're on a study computer. I work from home this way.

Yes, there are several online platforms that allow you to write MATLAB scripts without having to download any software. Some popular options include MATLAB Online, Octave Online, and Scilab Online. These platforms provide a web-based interface where you can write and run MATLAB code, making it accessible from any computer with internet access. Additionally, they often have features such as collaboration tools and cloud storage for your scripts. I would recommend exploring these options to see which one best suits your needs. Happy coding!

1. What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used by scientists and engineers for data analysis, visualization, and numerical computation. It allows for efficient and accurate execution of complex mathematical calculations.

2. How do I write a MATLAB script online?

To write a MATLAB script online, you can use the MATLAB Online platform provided by MathWorks. Simply log in to your MathWorks account and click on the "MATLAB Online" option. You can then create new scripts or open existing ones, and run them directly in your web browser.

3. Can I save and share my MATLAB scripts online?

Yes, you can save your MATLAB scripts online by creating a folder in your MATLAB Online account and saving your scripts there. You can also share your scripts with others by giving them access to the folder or by exporting the script as a file and sending it to them.

4. Is there a limit to the size or complexity of MATLAB scripts that can be written online?

No, there is no specific limit to the size or complexity of MATLAB scripts that can be written online. However, it is recommended to keep your scripts concise and organized for better readability and easier debugging.

5. Can I use external libraries or toolboxes in my MATLAB scripts online?

Yes, you can use external libraries and toolboxes in your MATLAB scripts online. However, you will need to have access to these libraries and toolboxes through your MathWorks account or by purchasing them separately. You can then add them to your MATLAB Online environment and use them in your scripts as needed.