Understanding the Energy Differences: Rigid Rotors vs. Harmonic Oscillators

• Thread starter texans57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotor
In summary, the speaker is currently taking a modern physics course and is struggling with a take home quiz. They ask for help understanding the difference in energy between the ground states of rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators. The speaker is unsure if they can post the question in the homework forum and is hoping to receive help. Another user responds that they are unable to provide assistance, but encourages the speaker to continue learning and engaging with others in the forum.
texans57
I am currently taking a modern physics course, and we have a take home quiz. I am not savvy in physics at all, much less quantam mechanics, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. My question is:

Explain what is the difference in terms of energy between the ground states of rigid rotors and of harmonic oscillators?

All i can deduce is that because the quantum number L is equal to zero, then E(0)=0 and the lowest ground state for rotation=0. While the lowest ground state for a simple harmonic oscillator is at v(0) and it never touches E(0).

Oh and by the way this isn't the last question I will probably post, because this is a 20 question take home quiz.

Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
As this is a homework question, you're going to have to post this in the homework forum. Go there and read the FAQ on how to post it.

Also, I hope this isn't your first and final trip here! There's always stuff to learn and good people to talk to here! :biggrin:

ok, could you help me then on the homework question forum?

texans57 said:
ok, could you help me then on the homework question forum?

I wish I could. But I don't know anything about this question, sorry.

Also, I think I misread your post. I though you said it would be the last question you posted lol. Thats why I said I hope you wouldn't just leave after that 1 post. :tongue2:

1. What are rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators?

Rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators are two different models used in physics to describe the behavior of molecules and atoms. Rigid rotors refer to molecules that spin around a fixed axis, while harmonic oscillators refer to molecules that vibrate back and forth around a fixed point.

2. What are the energy differences between rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators?

The energy differences between rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators lie in their respective potential energy functions. Rigid rotors have a linear potential energy function, while harmonic oscillators have a parabolic potential energy function. This results in different energy levels and behaviors for the two models.

3. How do rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators affect molecular spectra?

Rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators play a crucial role in determining the molecular spectra of a substance. The rotational energy levels of a molecule are described by rigid rotor models, while the vibrational energy levels are described by harmonic oscillator models. By combining these two models, scientists can accurately predict and interpret the molecular spectra of a substance.

4. Which model is more accurate for describing real-world molecules?

Neither rigid rotors nor harmonic oscillators can fully capture the complex behavior of real-world molecules. However, in certain situations, one model may be more accurate than the other. For example, rigid rotor models are more accurate for describing linear molecules, while harmonic oscillator models are better for describing non-linear molecules.

5. How do energy differences between rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators affect molecular properties?

The energy differences between rigid rotors and harmonic oscillators can significantly impact molecular properties such as stability, reactivity, and heat capacity. For example, the rotational energy levels of molecules can affect their stability, while the vibrational energy levels can impact their reactivity. Additionally, these energy differences also play a role in determining a molecule's heat capacity and its ability to store and release thermal energy.