Disappearing Posts? Investigating Causes

• Thread starter Disconnected
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about posts disappearing on the Physics Forums website. The first incident involved a reply to a post being deleted, and the second involved a reply being deleted after making a joke. The person asking the question wonders if it is a technical issue or if the posts were intentionally deleted. The conversation ends with a discussion about hard and soft deleting posts on the website.
Disconnected
Gold Member
Howdy howdy, I've noticed posts kinda disappearing twice today.

The first was someone posting a reply to a post of mine. I check my PF and it poppoed up that a rpely had been made. I clicked on it and read it. about a minute later the thread re-appeared on my PF with me as the last poster. The post was gone. I assumed that it had been deleted (though I didn't understand why).

Then, a little while later I posted a reply to someone saying thanks for the help, and a minute or two later it was gone as well.

Just curious if it's an issue or if the first one was them deleting and the second one was the post getting trimmed for making a joke about religious crackpots.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disconnected said:
Just curious if it's an issue or if the first one was them deleting and the second one was the post getting trimmed for making a joke about religious crackpots.

I think you answered your own question.

JaredJames said:
I think you answered your own question.

It's a possibility, but it was pretty tame. I just mentioned that I chuckled at someone who called RFID tags "the real life mark of the beast".

This is strange. While spam posts are almost always hard deleted, other types of posts (especially those deleted as risky/dubious) are usually soft deleted, so that mentors can see them later if needed. You don't have any soft deleted posts in your history.

No idea about the other one (answer to your post). Post link to the thread.

Edit: it is always possible that post was deleted by the OP. I think that explains this case (unless it was in different thread than the one I found).

Borek said:
This is strange. While spam posts are almost always hard deleted, other types of posts (especially those deleted as risky/dubious) are usually soft deleted, so that mentors can see them later if needed. You don't have any soft deleted posts in your history.

No idea about the other one (answer to your post). Post link to the thread.

Edit: it is always possible that post was deleted by the OP. I think that explains this case (unless it was in different thread than the one I found).
The first one (that someone else posted) was here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=496218

and my one was here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=496449

No traces of any post in the second, OP deleted post in the first. Apparently he decided his answer was off/wrong/inadequate.

Huh. I would assume that I just didn't post it or something, but I swear I saw it in line with the other posts. I guess I'll just repost it. Thanks for the help!

I have occasionally accidentally hard deleted posts I intended to soft delete (not that one, though). It happens.

russ_watters said:
I have occasionally accidentally hard deleted posts I intended to soft delete (not that one, though). It happens.
If the thread exists, mentors can see who hard deleted and when, it says post "removed", so there is still a history we can see.

I thought that only mentors could hard delete, and that normal users could only soft delete.

FtlIsAwesome said:
I thought that only mentors could hard delete, and that normal users could only soft delete.
Yes, that was what I was referring to.

1. What is meant by "disappearing posts"?

"Disappearing posts" refers to posts or content on a website or social media platform that suddenly disappears or cannot be found. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as technical issues, moderation by the platform, or intentional deletion by the user.

2. How do you investigate the causes of disappearing posts?

To investigate the causes of disappearing posts, you can start by checking the platform's guidelines and policies to see if the post violated any rules. You can also look for any technical issues or glitches on the platform that may have caused the post to disappear. Additionally, reaching out to the user who made the post or other users who may have seen the post can provide more information about its disappearance.

3. What are some common technical issues that can cause posts to disappear?

Some common technical issues that can cause posts to disappear include server errors, database malfunctions, and software bugs. These issues can occur due to updates or maintenance on the platform, and may affect a small or large number of posts.

4. Can posts disappear without any explanation?

Yes, posts can sometimes disappear without any explanation. This can be frustrating for users, but it may be due to technical issues or moderation by the platform. If the post was intentionally deleted by the user, there may not be an explanation unless they choose to provide one.

5. How can disappearing posts be prevented?

To prevent posts from disappearing, it is important to carefully follow the platform's guidelines and policies. Avoid posting content that may violate these rules, as it can lead to moderation or deletion of the post. Additionally, regularly backing up your posts and content can help prevent data loss in case of technical issues or glitches on the platform.