Voltage limiter for Cockroft/ walton cap charger

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a capacitor charging circuit using a Cockroft-walton voltage doubler circuit. The mains voltage is 220V with an output of 440V and the capacitors are rated for 500V. The individual is looking for a circuit that can limit the input voltage to 200V and also provide AC output for the voltage doubler to function. They have also mentioned a potential safety concern related to using a feedback loop for adjusting the input voltage.
mahela007
Hello,
I'm trying to design a capacitor charging circuit using a Cockroft-walton voltage doubler circuit.
My mains voltage is ~220 Volts and the output would be 220*2 = 440.
My capacitors are rated for 500V which means that they can be charged safely to about 400V.

Is there a circuit which would allow me to limit the voltage coming into the voltage doubler to [an upper limit of] exactly 200 volts ? The output of this voltage limiting circuit must also be AC, otherwise the voltage doubler wouldn't work.

I've also read this thread which is focused on the voltage multiplier part of this question.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=412640

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could always use a feedback loop to adjust the input voltage.

Beware the safety problems that other thread talks about.

1. What is a voltage limiter for Cockroft/Walton cap charger?

A voltage limiter is a device used to limit the maximum voltage output of a Cockroft/Walton cap charger. This is important because without a voltage limiter, the voltage output can become dangerously high and potentially damage the equipment or pose a safety risk.

2. How does a voltage limiter work?

A voltage limiter works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and diodes to control the flow of electricity and limit the voltage output. This is achieved by diverting excess voltage away from the circuit and dissipating it as heat.

3. Why is a voltage limiter necessary for a Cockroft/Walton cap charger?

A Cockroft/Walton cap charger works by multiplying the input voltage to a higher output voltage. Without a voltage limiter, this multiplication process can continue indefinitely, resulting in dangerously high voltages. The voltage limiter prevents this by setting a maximum limit for the output voltage.

4. What are the potential dangers of not using a voltage limiter for a Cockroft/Walton cap charger?

Without a voltage limiter, the output voltage of the Cockroft/Walton cap charger can reach extremely high levels, posing a safety hazard to anyone working with the equipment. It can also cause damage to the equipment itself, leading to malfunctions or even fires.

5. Are there different types of voltage limiters for Cockroft/Walton cap chargers?

Yes, there are different types of voltage limiters for Cockroft/Walton cap chargers, including Zener diodes, voltage regulators, and RC circuit limiters. The type of limiter used will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the circuit.