X-ray diffraction in the presence of an electric potential

In summary, the presence of an electric potential appears to be changing the original electron distribution in the material, resulting in different XRD patterns. This could be due to the interaction of X-ray with the material and possibly involving the empty 3d orbitals of Ti4+. Further experiments could shed more light on this possibility.
bearcharge
Hi, I was conducting an experiment on a material using XRD and I investigated two cases. One case is the presence of outside electric potential, that is, the material being connected to a electric circuit. The other case is the absence of this electric potential. I found that the two XRD patterns from these two cases differ, though not significantly. I think this is suggesting that the exerted electric potential is changing the original electron distribution, which is not surprising, right? Considering that the sample contains Ti4+ which has empty 3d orbitals, does this fact possibly has relationship to what I observed? Yes, I think I'm implying the interaction of X-ray with possible light-sensitive material in the presence of an electric potential. I'm sorry if this question belongs more to the chemistry area :) Thanks!
ps: I also posted this question in physics board...I hope this will not irritate the manager -_-!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible that the interaction of X-ray with the material in the presence of an electric potential could be the cause of what you observed. It is likely that the electric potential would cause a redistribution of electrons, resulting in a different XRD pattern. It is also possible that the empty 3d orbitals of Ti4+ could be involved in this process. You might want to consider doing further experiments to investigate this possibility.

1. What is X-ray diffraction in the presence of an electric potential?

X-ray diffraction is a technique used to study the structure of materials by analyzing the way X-rays interact with the atoms in a crystal lattice. When an electric potential is applied, it can alter the diffraction pattern and provide additional information about the structure of the material.

2. How does an electric potential affect X-ray diffraction?

When an electric potential is applied to a crystal, it causes the atoms to vibrate, which in turn changes the spacing between the atoms. This altered spacing causes a shift in the diffraction pattern, providing insights into the crystal structure and the electric properties of the material.

3. What are the applications of X-ray diffraction in the presence of an electric potential?

This technique has numerous applications in materials science, including studying the crystal structure and electronic properties of semiconductors, ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials, and thin films. It can also be used to investigate the effects of external stimuli, such as temperature or pressure, on the material's structure.

4. What equipment is needed for X-ray diffraction in the presence of an electric potential?

The setup for this technique includes an X-ray source, a sample holder, and a detector. An electric potential is applied using electrodes or other specialized equipment. The diffraction pattern is then recorded and analyzed using software to extract information about the material's structure and properties.

5. Are there any limitations to X-ray diffraction in the presence of an electric potential?

One limitation of this technique is that the applied electric potential can cause heating and damage to the sample. Additionally, the electric field can distort the diffraction pattern, making it more difficult to interpret. Careful control and calibration of the electric potential are necessary to obtain accurate results.