Do f-orbitals form sigma bonds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of f-orbitals forming sigma bonds, with the consensus being that it is unlikely due to their location deep within the atom. However, it is noted that f-orbitals may form delta bonds.
Saitama

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question.
I found a question in my book that which orbitals form sigma bonds.
I am wondering if any of the f-orbitals form sigma bonds?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
bump :)

Bump :)
Would someone like to answer my question?

I don't know, but I strongly doubt.

This will be handwavy.

For sigma bond you need orbitals of a correct symmetry. Assuming there exists an f orbital of a correct symmetry (intuition tells me it does) it should be able to create sigma orbital. But f orbitals are "deep" in the atom and they don't participate in bonding.

Borek said:
I don't know, but I strongly doubt.

This will be handwavy.

For sigma bond you need orbitals of a correct symmetry. Assuming there exists an f orbital of a correct symmetry (intuition tells me it does) it should be able to create sigma orbital. But f orbitals are "deep" in the atom and they don't participate in bonding.

I think you are right.
After a deep search too, i wasn't able to find any information on f-orbital sigma bonds.
But what i found is that they form delta bonds. :smile:

1. What are f-orbitals?

F-orbitals are atomic orbitals that are part of the third principle energy level of an atom, also known as the third shell. They have a complex shape and can hold up to 14 electrons.

2. Can f-orbitals form sigma bonds?

Yes, f-orbitals can form sigma bonds. Sigma bonds are formed when two atomic orbitals overlap end-to-end, and this can happen with f-orbitals as well as other types of orbitals.

3. How do f-orbitals form sigma bonds?

F-orbitals form sigma bonds in the same way as other orbitals. When the orbitals of two atoms overlap, their electrons can interact and form a bond. In the case of f-orbitals, the overlap may be more complex due to the shape of the orbitals, but the bonding principle is the same.

4. What is the role of f-orbitals in chemical bonding?

F-orbitals play a role in chemical bonding by allowing for the formation of sigma bonds, which are essential for the stability of molecules. They also contribute to the shape and orientation of molecules, influencing their physical and chemical properties.

5. Can f-orbitals form multiple bonds?

Yes, f-orbitals can form multiple bonds. Multiple bonds occur when more than one pair of electrons is shared between two atoms, and this can happen with f-orbitals as well as other types of orbitals. However, due to the complex shape of f-orbitals, they are more likely to form multiple bonds with other f-orbitals rather than with other types of orbitals.