Is it possible for HCO3 to have a -3 charge?

• Thread starter martianman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of HCO3 having a structure with a -3 charge, and the common name for such a molecule. The expert summarizer explains that this is not possible due to thermodynamic reasons and provides an example of how it would decompose. The asker also mentions their curiosity and how this knowledge shows the extent of their understanding in chemistry.
martianman
Hello, I've searched around the internet, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question. I know that bicarbonate has a -1 charge, but I was wondering if HCO3 could have a structure that has a -3 charge, by having carbon be a central atom with a single bond to each of the four other atoms.

If this is possible, I would like to know its common name, but if this is not possible, I would appreciate an explanation as to why that is.

Reason for asking: generally curiosity.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can draw any molecule you want - paper will survive. But reality bites, and most of the atom combinations are not stable.

No. It's unstable for thermodynamical reasons. If you tried making HC(OH)3, which would be the acid form of the anion you're describing, it would decompose into HCOOH which is formic acid.

Dr_Morbius said:
No. It's unstable for thermodynamical reasons. If you tried making HC(OH)3, which would be the acid form of the anion you're describing, it would decompose into HCOOH which is formic acid.

This is the answer I was looking for, thanks!

We have yet to talk about acids and basis in my beginning chemistry course(I believe we get to near the end of the semester), and we have only briefly touched on it in Chem lab, so that explains why that explanation wouldn't be obvious to me.

The reason I was wondering about this anion in particular, is because I was studying polyatomic ions for an exam, and I noticed that this permutation of HCO3 was equally valid in terms of electronegativity and the atoms' physical ability to bond with each other. This is actually pretty cool, because it shows how much more about chemistry I have yet to learn! :)

Correction, HC(OH)3 would decompose into formic acid and water: HCOOH + H20.

1. Can HCO3 have a 3- charge?

Yes, HCO3 can have a 3- charge. This is known as the carbonate ion, which has a chemical formula of CO3^2-. It is formed when one hydrogen atom is removed from HCO3, resulting in a net charge of 3-.

2. How is HCO3 able to have a 3- charge?

HCO3 can have a 3- charge because of its structure and the electronegativity of the atoms involved. The central carbon atom in HCO3 has a partial positive charge, while the oxygen atoms have partial negative charges. This creates a polar molecule in which the negative charges can offset the positive charge of the carbon, resulting in a net charge of 3-.

3. What are the properties of HCO3 with a 3- charge?

HCO3 with a 3- charge has several properties, including being highly reactive and unstable. It is also a strong base and can act as a buffer in solutions. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in maintaining the pH balance in the body.

4. Is HCO3 with a 3- charge common or rare in nature?

HCO3 with a 3- charge is relatively common in nature, as it is an important component in many biological and geological processes. It can be found in minerals such as calcite and aragonite, as well as in the oceans and in living organisms.

5. How is HCO3 with a 3- charge used in industries?

HCO3 with a 3- charge is used in various industries, including wastewater treatment, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverage production. It is also used in the production of glass and ceramics, and as a cleaning agent in household products.