Building a 12v heater for my car

In summary, the person is trying to upgrade their antique car while maintaining its factory look. They are looking into installing a 1 to 2ohm resistor rated at 200 watts to help warm up the air in the cabin for defrosting. However, they are concerned about the size of the resistor and are looking for a more compact option. They have found a 12V 100 watt lamp or a couple of 50 watt lamps as possible alternatives. They also mention the importance of having precautions against fire in case the air intake gets blocked.
glhx
I am trying to upgrade my antique car while still keeping the factory look

The rear defroster is a blower motor that sucks in cabin air and blows it onto the back window. The air in the cabin has to get warm before the windows will defog.

I am thinking of helping that a little by installing a 1 to 2ohm resistor rated at 200 watts. It will run around 7 amps and will use 12 gauge wire. The blower will blow air over the resistor and heat the air.

Will this work?...the only thing i don't like is how big the resistor is...its 7x3 inches

i really would like something to do the same job at 4x1 inches as space is limited or really as small as i can get and still have some good heat...im replacing the hose that goes from that blower motor to the duct work with metal pipe...so all of it needs to fit into that space

is there any other more compact way to do this that i haven't thought of?

i did find something like this
http://sunelectricheater.com/ that was 1/8 inch wire that got red hot to 1400°F need something like that that gets to 150°F

Attachments

• rear Defroster1.JPG
    rear Defroster1.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 498
Engineering news on Phys.org
you might try a little Halogen 12V 100 watt lamp, or a couple 50's. they're easily replaced and you can get sockets for them... look in lighting dept at hardware or auto parts store... they sell them for closets and off-road lights.

but put in some precaution against fire if your air intake gets blocked. fusible link?

1. How do I determine the power of the heater I need for my car?

The power of the heater you need for your car depends on the size of your car's interior and the desired temperature increase. A good rule of thumb is to multiply the volume of your car's interior (in cubic feet) by 3. This will give you the wattage needed for a heater that can increase the temperature by 30 degrees Fahrenheit in 15 minutes.

2. What materials do I need to build a 12v heater for my car?

You will need a heating element, a heat-resistant container, a 12v power source, wires, and a switch. You may also need insulation materials and a fan to distribute the heat evenly.

3. Can I use any type of heating element for my car heater?

No, you cannot use any type of heating element for your car heater. It is important to choose a heating element that is compatible with a 12v power source and can handle the required wattage. Ceramic or quartz heating elements are often used for car heaters.

4. How do I install the heater in my car?

The heater can be installed in your car by following these steps:

1. Choose a suitable location for the heater in your car's interior.
  2. Install the heating element inside the heat-resistant container.
  3. Connect the wires to the heating element, switch, and power source.
  4. Install the insulation materials and fan if needed.
  5. Mount the heater in the chosen location and secure it properly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a homemade car heater?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions you should take when using a homemade car heater. Make sure to use heat-resistant materials and properly secure the heater to prevent any hazards. Be cautious when handling the heater and do not leave it unattended while in use. It is also important to properly wire and insulate the heater to avoid any electrical hazards.