Information processing in the brain

In summary, the person is looking for an educational path that combines their interest in studying how information is processed in the brain with their love for math. They are considering options such as neuroscience, applied math, bioinformatics, computational biology, and biomedical engineering, but are unsure which would be the best interdisciplinary approach. They also mention the possibility of pursuing graduate studies. They are wondering if the University of Toronto offers a neuroscience program at their St. George Campus. Theoretical Computer Science is suggested as a potential option, as it involves learning about computation and data representation, which could provide a good background for graduate level neuroinformatics.
jey1234
I've always wanted to study something that has to do with how information is processed in the brain. I don't know if this sounds silly but almost like "reading" the brain. Perhaps like data/mathematical modelling? I don't really know what educational path I must choose. I am thinking that the choices consist of neuroscience, applied math, bioinformatics, computational biology, biomedical engineering. I will be applying to universities in Quebec & Ontario. There are just so many programs that I don't which will be the best interdisciplinary approach. Also note that I love math, probably more than any other course that I can think of. I understand that I'll most likely have to do graduate studies too.

P.S. Dos UofT have a neuroscience program at the St. George Campus?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(Theoretical) Computer Science would be a good option. Here you learn about computation and data representation, which provides a good background for graduate level neuroinformatics.

1. How does the brain process information?

The brain processes information through a complex network of neurons that communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals. This allows for the integration of sensory input, memory storage, and decision making.

2. What areas of the brain are involved in information processing?

Information processing in the brain involves various regions such as the prefrontal cortex, parietal cortex, and temporal cortex. These areas are responsible for different functions like attention, perception, and memory.

3. How does the brain filter and prioritize information?

The brain uses a process called selective attention to filter and prioritize information. This involves focusing on important stimuli while ignoring irrelevant ones, allowing for efficient processing and decision making.

4. Can information processing in the brain be improved?

Yes, information processing in the brain can be improved through various techniques such as cognitive training, physical exercise, and proper nutrition. It is also important to maintain a healthy brain by engaging in mentally stimulating activities.

5. How does information processing in the brain change with age?

As we age, the brain undergoes natural changes that can affect information processing. These changes can include a decline in certain areas of the brain, as well as changes in neural connections. However, the brain also has the ability to adapt and form new connections, allowing for continued information processing throughout life.