Maximum Likelihood Estimator, Single Observation

In summary, the maximum likelihood estimator for t is given by setting the derivative of the log likelihood function equal to 0, where the likelihood function is L(t)=6x/(t^3)*(t-x) for a single observation X.
bitty

Homework Statement

An observation X has density function: f(x,/theta)=6x/(t^3)*(t-x) where t is a parameter: 0<x<t.

Given the single observation X, determine the maximum likelihood estimator for t.

Homework Equations

Included below

The Attempt at a Solution

For a sample size of n, the likelihood function is
L(t)=product[6x_i/(t^3)*(t-x_i)] from i=1 to n.
To maximize a product, we take the log L[t] and differentiate with respect to t and equate to 0.

d/dt [Log[t]=3/t+Sum[1/(t-x_i)] for i=1 to n.
However, I don't know how to solve 3/t+Sum[1/(t-x_i)]=0 for t since there is a t on the denominator in the sum. Is there a way to do this?

Or have I misinterpreted the question? Since the question says, "Given a single observation X" am I not supposed to take the product over n samples but rather set n=1 when finding my likelihood function, which would then be L(t)=6x/(t^3)*(t-x) without a product?

*I accidentally posted this in the incorrect section (pre-Calc) so I apologize for the double post.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you don't need the sum, i.e., n=1 indeed

What is Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution by maximizing the likelihood function. It is commonly used in data analysis and machine learning.

What is the purpose of using MLE?

The purpose of using MLE is to find the most likely values of the parameters of a probability distribution that best describe the observed data. This helps in making accurate predictions and understanding the underlying distribution of the data.

How is MLE calculated for a single observation?

To calculate MLE for a single observation, we first need to define a likelihood function that represents the probability of observing the data given the parameters of a distribution. Then, we use mathematical methods such as differentiation or optimization techniques to find the parameter values that maximize the likelihood function.

What are the assumptions of using MLE?

The assumptions of using MLE include:

• The data follows a specific probability distribution.
  • The observations are independent of each other.
  • The parameters of the distribution are constant and not influenced by the data.
  • The data is a random sample from the population.

What are the advantages of using MLE?

The advantages of using MLE include:

• It provides unbiased and efficient estimators.
  • It can handle complex and large datasets.
  • It is a flexible method that can be applied to a wide range of distributions.
  • It allows for statistical inference and hypothesis testing.