Calculating Work for a Dipole: 90J

In summary, the problem involves a dipole with ±6.0 μC charges located at the origin and 1.0 mm to the right of the origin, and a 10.0 μC charge brought from infinity to a position x = 3.0 mm, y = 0.0 mm. The potential of an electric dipole equation, V = kq(1/r+ - 1/r-), is used to solve for the work required. However, there may be errors in unit conversions as the correct answer is 90J, while the calculated answer is significantly smaller. Further clarification is needed on the distances r+ and r- in the equation.
HenryHH

Homework Statement

A dipole with ±6.0 μC charges is positioned so that the positive charge is 1.0 mm to the right of the origin and the negative charge is at the origin. How much work does it take to bring a 10.0 μC charge from infinity to a position x = 3.0 mm, y = 0.0 mm? (The value of k is 9.0 × 10^9 N∙m2/C2.)

Homework Equations

The potential of an electric dipole: V = kq(1/r+ - 1/r-)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know how to do this problem, but I have some questions. Are r+ and r- the distances the 10 uC charge is from the positive and negative dipole charges, respectively? The answer to the problem is 90J, but I keep getting something like .0000000009, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Usually when one's result is off by some multiple of 10 it's due to a problem with unit conversions. Can you show your math?

1. What is the formula for calculating work for a dipole?

The formula for calculating work for a dipole is W = qEd, where W is the work done, q is the charge of the dipole, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the charges of the dipole.

2. How is the work calculated for a dipole with a charge of 90J?

The work for a dipole with a charge of 90J can be calculated by rearranging the formula to solve for W. It would be W = qEd, where q = 90J, E is the known electric field strength, and d is the distance between the charges of the dipole.

3. What units are used for the work of a dipole?

The units for the work of a dipole are joules (J), which is the standard unit for measuring energy.

4. Can the work of a dipole be negative?

Yes, the work of a dipole can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the direction of the dipole's movement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work.

5. How does the distance between the charges of a dipole affect the work calculation?

The distance between the charges of a dipole affects the work calculation as it is directly proportional to the work done. This means that the farther apart the charges are, the greater the work done will be.