Chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin

In summary, chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin are known as cryogenic chemicals. These substances have extremely low freezing points and are often used in industries such as medicine, aerospace, and energy production. Some common examples of cryogenic chemicals include liquid nitrogen, helium, and oxygen. These chemicals are stored and handled with extreme caution due to their potential to cause severe burns and other hazards. Additionally, they are utilized in various applications, such as cryotherapy for medical treatments and rocket fuel for space exploration.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Does anyone know of a reference to a list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K? I know lots of organic molecules do, but I don't know which ones. I also can find the freezing points of all the elements pretty easy, but chemicals are proving more elusive.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
Does anyone know of a reference to a list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K? I know lots of organic molecules do, but I don't know which ones. I also can find the freezing points of all the elements pretty easy, but chemicals are proving more elusive.

Alfa Aesar just released a rather large amount of chemical melting point data the other year as part of an "open access" project. If you Google that, you should be able to find that information - as well as other related data sets that are part of this project.

My recollection is that you are probably best off not holding your breath. If you were looking for something around 100 K, you'd have better luck - silanes and certain conjugated organic chemicals can freeze around that point. Even methane freezes at around 90 K (as memory serves).

If you find anything interesting, though, please share! I'd sincerely love to see what you dig up.

CRC handbook of chemistry could be a good place to look

There is currently no comprehensive list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K. However, there are databases and resources available that can provide information on the freezing points of various chemicals. One such resource is the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Chemistry WebBook, which contains data on the properties of over 70,000 chemicals, including their freezing points. Additionally, scientific literature and research papers can also provide information on the freezing points of specific chemicals. It may be helpful to consult with a chemist or use specialized software to search for and compile a list of chemicals with freezing points below 50 K.

What is the definition of a chemical that freezes at less than 60 Kelvin?

A chemical that freezes at less than 60 Kelvin is a substance that solidifies at a temperature below 60 Kelvin (or -213.15 degrees Celsius). This means that the molecules in the substance lose enough energy to slow down and form a solid structure.

What are some examples of chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin?

Some examples of chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin include neon, helium, and hydrogen. These elements have very low boiling points and can freeze at extremely low temperatures.

Why do some chemicals freeze at such low temperatures?

The freezing point of a chemical is determined by its molecular structure and intermolecular forces. Substances with weaker intermolecular forces, such as noble gases, will have lower freezing points compared to substances with stronger intermolecular forces.

What are the potential uses of chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin?

Chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin have various potential uses, such as in cryogenic applications, superconductors, and cooling agents. They are also used in scientific research and experiments, as well as in the production of certain materials.

Are there any safety concerns associated with handling chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin?

Yes, there are safety concerns when handling chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin. These substances are extremely cold and can cause serious burns if they come into contact with skin. Protective gear and proper handling techniques should be used when working with these chemicals.