Dimensions of k in Nusselt Number

In summary, the common dimensionless group used in heat transfer calculations, Nu, is defined as hD/k where h represents the heat transfer coefficient and D is the diameter of the pipe. The units for h are J/(m² s K) or W/(m² K) and the units for k, the thermal conductivity, are W/(m K) or MLT⁻³Θ⁻¹ in MLTΘ notation.
Jasones

Homework Statement

A common dimensionless group used in heat transfer calculations is defined as:

Nu=[itex]\frac{hD}{k}[/itex]

where h is the heat transfer coefficient, and D is the diameter of the pipe in which heat transfer takes place. Please determine the dimensions of the quantity k in terms of mass (M), length (L), time (T) and temperature ([itex]\theta[/itex]) and in terms of SI units.

Homework Equations

Nu=[itex]\frac{hD}{k}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've worked out that the units for h are J/(m2 hr C), but I'm having difficulty expressing k in terms of what is given.

Am I wrong is thinking that J/(m2 hr C) can be expressed as W/(m2 K)? I'm thinking that this is relevant to the end units of k, but I am unsure if the dimensions are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in SI units h, the heat transfer coefficient is given in J/(m² s K), or W/(m² K) as 1 W = 1 J/s. Hour (hr) is not one of the SI system's base units.

Therefore, k, the thermal conductivity, should be expressed as W/(m K) and in MLTΘ notation it is expressed as MLT⁻³Θ⁻¹.

1. What is the significance of k in the Nusselt Number equation?

The thermal conductivity, represented by k, is an important parameter in the Nusselt Number equation as it measures the ability of a material to conduct heat. In the context of the Nusselt Number, k is used to describe how efficiently heat is transferred between a solid surface and a fluid.

2. How does the value of k affect the Nusselt Number?

A larger value of k indicates a material with higher thermal conductivity, meaning that heat can be transferred more easily. This results in a higher Nusselt Number, indicating a more efficient heat transfer process. On the other hand, a smaller value of k corresponds to a lower Nusselt Number and a less effective heat transfer.

3. What units is k typically expressed in?

The thermal conductivity, k, is typically expressed in units of watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK) in the Nusselt Number equation. This unit represents the amount of heat (in watts) that can be transferred through a material with a thickness of one meter, per degree of temperature difference.

4. How is k determined for different materials?

The thermal conductivity, k, is a property of the material and can be determined experimentally. It depends on factors such as the composition, density, and temperature of the material. It can also be calculated using theoretical models and equations based on the material's properties.

5. Are there any other variables that affect the value of k in the Nusselt Number equation?

Yes, in addition to the material's properties, the value of k can also be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and fluid flow conditions. These factors can alter the thermal conductivity of a material and therefore impact the Nusselt Number.