Designing a PID controller - control systems engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a controller for a transfer function with certain requirements for steady state error, overshoot, and settling time. The solution involves finding the damping ratio and natural frequency, modifying the original equation to a PI controller, and determining the overall closed-loop transfer function of the system. Settling time is also calculated using the damping ratio and natural frequency.
RSDXzec

Homework Statement

I am given the transfer function
Gp (s) = 1/(s+16)
and I have to design a controller of the form
Gc (s) = K(1 + 1/T*s)
(which is a PID controller)

To meet the following requirements:

Maximum steady state error to a steadily changing desired position = 5%

Maximum percentage overshoot to a step change in desired position = 4.4%

Maximum settling time allowed following a step change in desired position = 0.5sec

Homework Equations

%OS = %overshoot
ζ = damping ratio
ω = natural frequency

%OS = 100e^(-pi(ζ/sqrt(1-ζ^2)))

Settling time = 4/ζ

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did the calculations knowing the settling time and overshoot and found
ζ = 0.705
ω = 11.3464
although I don't know how useful that working is.

Then to make progress on the controller I modified the original equation:
Gc (s) = K(1 + 1/T*s)
to
Gc (s) = K((s + Z)/s)
where Z = 1/T

I derived the open loop function by doing
G(s) = Gc(s)*Gp(s)
= (K(s + Z))/(s(s+16))

And with the steady state error limit I tried to get some progress done on that but couldn't get very far there either.

Ess = lim(s->0) (1/(1+G(s)))
5% = 1/(1 + K*Z)

Any help here would really be appreciated, I feel like I'm missing something really simple here and it's starting to get frustrating.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your controller is a PI, not a PID.

What is the overall closed-loop transfer function of your system, including the controller?

Also, settling time = 4/ζω.

Last edited:

1. What is a PID controller and how does it work?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is a feedback control system used to regulate a process or system. It continuously calculates an error value by comparing a desired setpoint with the current output of a system. It then uses three control terms - proportional, integral, and derivative - to adjust the system's input and bring the error value closer to zero.

2. What are the advantages of using a PID controller?

PID controllers are widely used in control systems engineering because of their simplicity, effectiveness, and versatility. They are easy to implement, require minimal tuning, and can be used in a variety of applications. Additionally, they offer quick response times and can handle disturbances and nonlinearities in a system.

3. How do you design a PID controller?

The design process for a PID controller involves selecting appropriate values for the proportional, integral, and derivative gain parameters. This is typically done through trial and error, using methods such as Ziegler-Nichols or Cohen-Coon tuning. The desired response of the system, as well as the system's characteristics, should be taken into consideration when choosing the gains.

4. What are some common challenges in designing a PID controller?

One challenge in designing a PID controller is finding the right balance between the three control terms. If the proportional gain is too high, the system may become unstable, while a low gain may result in slow response times. Additionally, the integral term can cause overshoot or steady-state error if not properly tuned. Another challenge is dealing with nonlinearity and time-varying dynamics in a system, which may require additional control techniques.

5. How can a PID controller be implemented and tested in a control system?

A PID controller can be implemented in hardware or software, depending on the specific system. Once the controller is designed and the gains are determined, it can be tested by observing the system's response to step changes in the setpoint. If the response is not satisfactory, the gains can be adjusted and the system can be tested again until the desired performance is achieved. It is important to continuously monitor and fine-tune the controller as the system may change over time.