Mastering Physics: Ball hits wall Elastically

In summary, the question is asking for the final angle that the ball's velocity vector makes with the negative y axis after colliding with a vertical wall. The collision is completely elastic, friction is negligible, and the force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x axis. In order to solve this, you must conserve both energy and momentum, considering the x and y components separately. Additionally, gravity must also be taken into account.
RhysticGenesis
First off let me say I am completely stumped. I don't remember teacher teaching this, and its definitely not in book(I went through it 3 or 4 times) and its not even the same book mastering physics uses...

The Question is :
What is the final angle that the ball's velocity vector makes with the negative y axis?

The Given are:
A ball of mass m moving with velocity v_i strikes a vertical wall. The angle between the ball's initial velocity vector and the wall is theta_i. The duration of the collision between the ball and the wall is Deltat, and this collision is completely elastic. Friction is negligible, so the ball does not start spinning. In this idealized collision, the force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x axis.

an image cna be found here: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1010992/25/MLM_e2.jpg

I have no clue on how to solve this... all I do know however is that physics is not my subject heh. Can anyone help lead me in right direction? (keep in mind I am seriously not good in physics [Math yes] physics no so try and keep it dumb if you can? I want to know how to get the answer..well I have to know actually

Edit: Ok I know this much I have to find the Y component and X component and stick them together thing is... how? I was thiking it has to be sin(Theta_i) to get the piece that is rquired for the distance the ball is from the wall?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RhysticGenesis said:
The duration of the collision between the ball and the wall is Deltat, and this collision is completely elastic. Friction is negligible, so the ball does not start spinning. In this idealized collision, the force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x axis.
Since the collision is elastic, you know energy is conserved. Hint: Is momentum conserved? (Remember that momentum is a vector; consider x and y components separately.)

The momentum would be conserved wouldn't it? Well not completely though? Wouldnt a lot be lost because of the wall? I don't understand where you are pointing me with this? I know I have to treat x and y comp seperately but I don't truly know what teh heck an x and y component is in this prob maybe that's where my problem lies?

I'll rephrase my question: Is momentum conserved in the x-direction? ... the y-direction? (Why?)

Also: What's the final speed?

Now write an equation for conservation of momentum. (Use a little trig to find the x and y components of the velocity.)

As Doc Al pointed out, momentum is a VECTOR. Initially, the momentum vector is pointed TOWARD the wall (because the ball is moving toward the wall). Is it pointed that way after the ball bounces? But it is true that energy is conserved.

Don't forget to deal with gravity. It is an elastic collision, but the magnitude of the velocity before and after the collision is not the same (deal with the x and y components separately).

What is Elastic Collision?

Elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the energy before the collision is equal to the energy after the collision.

What is the difference between Elastic and Inelastic Collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy is conserved, while in inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. Inelastic collisions also result in a change in the shapes of the objects involved.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of an object after an Elastic Collision?

The equation for calculating the velocity of an object after an elastic collision is v1f = [(m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i] / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities, and v1f is the final velocity of the first object.

What factors affect the outcome of an Elastic Collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the angle at which they collide, can all affect the outcome of an elastic collision. In addition, external forces such as friction may also play a role.

How can I use the concept of Elastic Collision to explain real-life scenarios?

Elastic collisions can be observed in various scenarios, such as billiard balls colliding on a pool table or two cars colliding on a street. Understanding the principles of elastic collisions can also help in predicting the outcome of these scenarios and in designing safer and more efficient systems, such as airbags in cars.